The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Having Troubile Installing a HF Mobile Setup  (Read 1181 times)
KC0LOE

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2004, 04:00:09 PM »

I am installing a HF mobile set up in my 88" dodge caravan.  I am using what is called a side mount, looks like this http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/M-2.htm on the lift gate of the van.  The mount came with RG-58 A/U coax with a spade connector on the copper braid and a ring terminal on the center conductor.  I am using hamsticks as the antennas

I have grounded everything in the van exhaust pipe, etc.  I hooked up the ring terminal on the coax to the big stud on the antenna mount, and the spade conntector on the little stud on the mount.

I put on a 20meter ham stick and hooked up an swr meter to the radio.  I am getting off the scale SWR readings all over the band.  same with the other hamsticks i am using.  What am I doing wrong?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 05:32:44 PM »

It's hard to say what could be wrong until we take out a few variables.

Did you preset the adjustable whip length?  This should get you close.

Did you verify your cables into a known load?  Could be a a bad cable or connector.

Is the non-insulated terminal of the antenna mount really grounded?  You said you mounted it to the lift gate, but not where on the lift gate.  Also, be aware that a lot of times hinges aren't the greatest ground connections.  You may need to run a ground braid from the hatch to the chassis.

This gives you a few things to check out, check back in with your findings and we can go from there.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KC0LOE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 08:29:50 PM »

Ends up that the feed line that came with it is defective.  No wonder I couldn't get the SWR's down.  Thanks

KC0LOE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: