The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screwdriver antenna mounting  (Read 2275 times)
KB0SVY

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2005, 06:36:46 PM »

We have a 2004 Ford Explorer, I am looking for ideas to mount a screwdriver antenna on it without drilling holes in the truck. My wife says ok to the antenna but says NO to cutting or drilling her truck.  LOL  Anyway any ideas would be helpful..  Thanks Ed KB�SVY
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 07:57:41 PM »

Any holes at all, or just ones you can't see?  I've seen some really clever brackets fabricated that slip between gaps in fenders, lights and grilles that were solidly screwed to the body, but not the outside skin.  That would be my first choice, otherwise you're kinda dreaming to expect a physically secure installation that's 'temporary'.  You can do this either from the front, or the back via a trailer hitch frame.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:57:15 PM »

hi,

Not sure if you will use a large model or a small model, like the tarheel series.

They have many ways to mount them, check their site, they are an eham.net sponsor.

http://www.tarheelantennas.com/

Is there a hitch on the truck, if not, you can add one and have more mount options.

73 james
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 06:20:39 AM »

Welcome to the screwdriver antenna conundrum. Properly mounted they work well in most cases, but because they need RF and DC wiring, there is no commercial antenna mount available specifically for them. Most folks resort to mounting them on trailer hitch mounts, but this shadows a large portion of the antenna (especially on SUVs and vans)which greatly reduces their efficiency.

As Mark pointed out, ingenuity is the key here in view of you wife's demands. Depending on your abilities, the equipment you have in your shop (assuming you have one), you may be able to fashion a suitable mount.

I suggest you look at the HiQ web site. They make and sell a very heavy duty quick disconnect designed to be mounted at the bottom of the antenna. There are a variety of adaptors which make mounting easier, but not simple or cheap.

I don't address mounting screwdriver antennas specifically on my web site because there are not any universal or commercial mount available, but there may be something there that will give you a few ideas. Look under Antennas and Installs.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K2ZBMOBILE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 02:16:52 PM »

High Sierra is far and away the largest manufacturer of screwdriver antennas.  They are a real company with employees and machinery.  They have several mounting methods shown on their web pages.  

Having had some of the copies of High Sierra, I can only recommend them.  They are the best.  
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 06:56:44 PM »

My High Sierra 1800pro is mounted to the hitch receiver on my Ford Windstar and stands off the body by about 7 inches.

The mount is welded to the transverse section of the receiver and is a 2" section of steel box tubing with a 1.25" solid rod welded to the top of the square tube.

There is very little interaction with the body of the vehicle in my installation.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 08:14:27 PM »

PS - the mounting places my HS off the left rear corner of the vehicle. At 40m and 80m, the bulk of the coil is above the roof line. 20m the top of the coil is even with the roof line.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 11:34:47 AM »

A friend had his trailer hitch modified so he
could put a receiver on the left side of his
vehicle and then he made an antenna mount to go
into that receiver. It worked great and it was
removeable and did not interfere with any doors.
73 ,
Tim WA4PTZ
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 11:35:33 AM »

A friend had his trailer hitch modified so he
could put a receiver on the left side of his
vehicle and then he made an antenna mount to go
into that receiver. It worked great and it was
removeable and did not interfere with any doors.
73 ,
Tim WA4PTZ
KB2MS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 11:52:20 AM »

I have a dk3, that is mounted on the reese hitch of my toyota tocoma.  no holes are required.  If you want me to send you a photo of the install let me know.  kb2ms@hotmail.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: