The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco dx70 separation kit..  (Read 5823 times)
LU1HQV

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2005, 06:18:02 PM »

...somebody built hiw own?? I don't want to spend almost 50 bucks buy a kit separation from alinco. If somebody tried to do one, please, let me know.
Best regard
Jose
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 08:09:51 AM »

Spend the money!

The separation kit is a multi-wire cable (about 35 wires or so) with two IDE connectors on each end. Just attaching the connectors to the cable requires the proper tools. I wouild not consider this a homebrew project.

Lon
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 08:14:37 AM »

Additionally, using the separation cable requires a back cover for the remote head and a face cover for the chassis. The separation kit includes these covers. It also includes the mounting bracket for the remote head.

It is not feasable to make your own bracket and covers.

At $50, the separation kit is well worth the money for what you are getting.

Lon

PS - I have two DX-70s, one mobile and one as the drag-along rig.
LU1HQV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 04:21:13 PM »

Hey Lon thanks you for your reply!
What about alinco as movil?? Any problem whit noise or nb??
Thanks you in advance!
PD: I'm thinking buy a separation kit...
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 06:06:38 AM »

Jose, if you need some tips on noise abatement, installing, wiring, and bonding, look at my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 06:21:23 AM »

Jose:

It is a nice little mobile rig; much easier to actually use than the Icom 706. I have mine installed in the third vehicle and never have considered using anything else.

The noise blanker is not that good, but it does work. More importantly is eliminating the noise sources in the first place. Be sure to check out Alan's web site.

My only real complaint IS the way separation is handled - the big, fat, multi-conductor cable, but it does work and I'm not about to buy a new rig just to get a smaller cable. <g>

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
LU1HQV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 07:43:23 AM »

Yes Alan, I take a lot of good ideas from your web!!
Actually I installed a very big, fat new alternator (200 amp), a isolator, a equalizer battery and a second +1000 amp battery... All conected whit fat, very fat wires... I think is enough... yesterday a buddy called me and telled me want to buy alinco.. maybe I installed a sgc 2000 (I have one here and I always work same frequency...)
Thanks for all good help!!
KE3HO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 10:38:40 PM »

I've used the DX-70 mobile for a while now. The noise blanker is pretty bad. If you have ignition noise, you will need to cure the problem at the source. There is a mod which involves changing a capacitor to improve the NB performance. I have done this mod on mine, and it is a big improvement. Still, solving the source of the problem is the best route.

If you are interested in the mod, look at www.mods.dk and you will find it.

Other than the NB, it is a nice mobile rig. Very easy to use, no menus to navigate. Simple operation - just what you need for mobile. The only other thing that this rig lacks, in my opinion, is VOX. That is really nice when you use a boom mic for mobile operation.

Good luck and 73 - Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: