The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quality mobile speaker  (Read 1228 times)
N7GCO

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2005, 08:47:22 PM »

I am looking for a quality smaller size mobile speaker to use in my vehicle. The Heil clearspeak are just to large. ANy recommendations?  I am wanting if for mobile HF, not music etc.
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 09:49:43 PM »

Lots of options, ranging from stoping in at a truck stop and picking up an external cb speaker, through the speakers available from the manufacturer of your rig.

If you are competent with a soldering iron, and ok with building your own, you could even pick up a 2.5" or 3" speaker element and put a kit box around it with some holes cut through the front to let the sound through. That might even be a good way to go if you want to add your own amplifier outside of the receiver.

Another option would be to stop in at a computer store and pick up a set of external speakers that either don't require power, or that you can find a way to plug into a cigaret lighter socket. You may find a pair of flat speakers that can be mounted almost flush to your dash.

I am sure that there are lots of other ideas floating around.

-Rusty - kc0vcu
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 03:01:07 AM »

Sounds like small size is important to you.  I took the bracket off this speaker and used heavy velcro to mount it under my dash on driver's side.  I'm pleased with it.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-281
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 06:44:14 AM »

If you're looking for a speaker with built in DSP, take a look at the SGC ADSP2 speaker. At $129 it's less expensive than its competition, and smaller.

As for the Velcro; Any type on mounting inside a vehicle other than screws and bolts, are a disaster waiting to happen. None of us ever wants to be involved in a crash. However, statistics say one in 11 drivers will. Even an object as small as a speaker can become a flying brick in a crash. If Velcro is so good, why don't automobile manufacturers use it? The answer is quite obvious, I'd think.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 03:51:38 PM »

> If Velcro is so good, why don't automobile
> manufacturers use it?

I think this mounting technique shows the loyalty of a car's owner, actually.  It demonstrates a level of dedication towards the preservation of their cars to such an extent that they would rather risk injury or death, rather than drill any holes.  My hat is off to them...

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 08:25:51 AM »

Yea, yea, yeh, velcro is a lazy way of attaching.

The real problem was finding a brand with an adhesive that would not gradually fall off with summer heat.  Solved that problem with an industrial type tape.

I did take your advice and secured my stainless steel coffee mug to the cupholder with a lag screw.  Darn thing leaks a little and drinking from it is a pain what with having to use my electric screw driver every time I want to take a sip.  But, you are right in that the total weight with boiling hot coffee would be in excess of a pound and that would be a missle with a payload in a wreck ;-)
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 01:53:35 PM »

<< I did take your advice and secured my stainless steel coffee mug to the cupholder with a lag screw. >>

Anybody dumb enough to drink coffee, much less in a moving vehicle, deserves whatever happens to them.

Now Coke Classic is another matter ... Smiley

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 03:38:18 PM »

You could use your fm/am radio with this gizmo...irock!® Beamit Wireless Music Adapter

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2111077&cp=2032054.2032118&parentPage=family
KF9TL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 06:52:11 AM »

I too am in the market for my IC706mkIIG (new to HF mobile).  My book says the Icom speaker for it is the SP-7 (8 ohm-5W), kinda pricy and I've heard mixed reviews with no clear concensus.  Some web pages visited praise the SP-10 (4 ohm-? W)for this radio.  Method of attachment does not concern me, nore does size to a point (I'm in a F-250).  I'm not an audiophile but would would like something that sounds good and won't drive me nuts in an hour of operating.

Thanks for the help

Mark
W2KRP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 07:55:34 AM »

I have been using the Kenwood SP-50 and it sounds fantastic. It is not cheap at a little over $50 but it was $$$ well spent. About a little over an inch thick by 6 or 7 inches wide it's a keeper.
73!
Mark / W2KRP
SMIRK #6524 - 6MWW #2159 - AMSAT #35620

http://www.w2krp.com
(Remember to sign my guestbook!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: