The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Amplifier  (Read 1297 times)
K5APL

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2006, 02:53:41 PM »

I notice ebay has model KL500/12 solid state 300-600w
amplifiers for sale from the U.K.  Does anyone have
experience with them?  I understand they will draw about 40-50 amps. Any info welcome.

Thanks,

Wes
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 03:13:39 PM »

RE: KL500/12 SS Amplifier  Reply  
by WB2WIK on April 21, 2006  Mail this to a friend!  
I would recommend you double your money by folding it in half and putting it back in your pocket.

This amp is made by RM Italia in Italy and is a "CB" amp, period. Note the lack of a bandswitch. It has no internal filtering at all, and also no power line decoupling, rendering it pretty useless in many situations, especially if you try to use it below 27 MHz where the lack of power line decoupling tends to make the amp break into oscillation.

I see these at local CB shops brand new in sealed cartons for $150 (U.S.), so paying more than that for one would be really silly. Of course, they're illegal for sale here and also illegal to import here -- period.

My friend Dick AE6RF in Indio had the misfortune of buying one of these and has been consulting with me ever since about how to actually make it work in his mobile installation...he's added filtering, and more filtering, and bandswitched filtering, and ferrites, and capacitors and all sorts of stuff to try to tame it down.

WB2WIK/6  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 03:16:27 PM »

Sorry, correction to last post:

Dick's call should be WA6RF.  I get lost with these newfangled calls...

Shocked)

WB2WIK/6
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 05:25:54 PM »

Steve is DEAD on. If you want an amp, the middle price line is an Ameritron ALS-500 with the remote which sells for about $850. If you want the best currently available, then buy the SGC SG500. Expect to pay about $1,400. It is, in all respects, a set and forget.

Sometime late this year, Tokyo HyPower will be out with their HL700B. Currently, the delivered price is close to $1,200, but expect that to drop a little. No remote, but the protection circuitry is about equal to SGC's.

Everything else, is either CB junk, or used. What ever you do, stay away from, CB anything, Dave Made, Palomar Electronics (not Palomar Engineering which is a different company altogether), Wellmade (or anything that sounds like it), Galaxy, Ranger, Madrid, MaxxCom, and a few others.

My choice? SGC! You pay plenty for it, but if you follow the manual, you'll have it for years and it won't fail, quit, hiccup, or cause a divorce.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K5APL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 05:51:25 PM »

Thanks a lot for the info.  I'll pass on it.

Wes
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 03:33:40 PM »

I agree with both Steve and Alan.  I tend to favor Tokyo Hy-Power because I've found their stuff to be incredibly well built and their customer service to be second to none.

Alan, FYI:  THPL's negotiations with the California distributor fell apart.  For the time being it will still be factory direct for purchasing only.  I believe they already have one model (HL-1.5KFX) certificated so it probably is just a matter of them finding a suitable distributor they can reach an agreement with.

Caity
K7VO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: