The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2M mobile rig  (Read 1320 times)
VA3RBV

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2006, 10:13:46 AM »

I've had my ticket for a good 2-3 months now, but I have yet to pick up a rig yet. Seeing as how I jsut recently volunteered for CANWARN and ARES, I see now as the best time to finally get one (lol). I've been looking at just "basic" VHF mobile set-ups (for now) just to finally get going. I've roughly narrowed it down to 3 different radios, all Icom:
-an ICV8000
-an IC2100H
-and an IC2200H

I've also been looking at a Motorola Spectra, as a member of my 4x4 club has one in his Jeep.

Which would be a good radio? I'm going to be mounting in my 4x4, as often enough, my Cobra CB isn't enough on some of the 4wd adventures I partake in, plus I'll be using it as a general mobile rig, plus for the CANWARN and ARES stuff....

any thoughts?

73's, Russ VA3RBV
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 03:44:06 PM »

Russ, your best bet is to go to your nearest dealer and test them out for yourself. As a recent eham.net article on the review process points out, you need to buy what fits your needs, not the needs of others. Remember, one man's treasure is another man's junk.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 03:46:04 PM »

One more thing. I don't know what license class you are, but buying an FM only radio as a first purchase is very limiting. You'd be better off in the long run with a multimode, multiband radio.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 04:34:47 PM »

I agree 100% with everything Alan said.  I'll go further:  either buy multimode (as Alan suggested) or at least buy multiband.  Where I live in Wisconsin we have lots of good 2m machines, mostly silent.  I find more activity on 223.94 than any 2m machine.  Thankfully I have both in the car.

The best for the money in a multiband FM-only radio today has to be the Yaesu FT-8900R.  It covers 10m FM (which you can't use until you upgrade), 6m FM (summer band openings can make this lots of fun), as well as 2m and 70cm.  Both Diamond and Comet make excellent four band matching antennas designed specifically for this radio.  I, personally, find the Diamond products to be a bit better built.

More bands simply equals more people to talk to more of the time.

Caity
K7VO
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 06:22:53 AM »

Search the Internet for a used Kenwood TM255A 2 meter all-mode.  Read the QST and eham.net reviews.  If they don't arouse your interest you should look for another hobby.  Great rig, does it all.  I have three.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:09:37 AM »

KE4SKY:  The TM-255A doesn't arouse my interest at all?  No 2m FM-only rig does.  Are you telling me everything I do in the hobby is invalid and I should get out?  I think not.

There is a lot more to ham radio than 2m FM.  We'd lose a lot fewer newcomers to the hobby if people started with more than that.

Caity
K7VO
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:10:52 AM »

Ooops.  KE4SKY, my apologies.  The TM-255A is an all mode.  Yes, that is a much better choice.  I've never had that particular model but I withdraw my objection.

Caity
K7VO
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 11:48:03 AM »

I would suggest at least a dual band.  In fact it was a requirement in NYC ARES at one time to have a dual band radio in (when I lived in NYC).

I have a quad band radio in the car now.  While I don't do a lot of operating on 6 or 10, it's nice to have the capability.

After we buy a home, I'm going to add HF to the car.  
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »

K7V0 wrote:

"The best for the money in a multiband FM-only radio today has to be the Yaesu FT-8900R. It covers 10m FM (which you can't use until you upgrade), 6m FM (summer band openings can make this lots of fun), as well as 2m and 70cm. Both Diamond and Comet make excellent four band matching antennas designed specifically for this radio. I, personally, find the Diamond products to be a bit better built. "

I have this radio and I really love it.  Bought it from KJI Electronics at the store in Caldwell.

It is a really nice radio, and it looks very aesthetically pleasing in my 2004 Honda Accord.  

The display is very nice and visible from a wide variety of angles.  Couldn't say the same about my TM-V7a (which is now at home).  

I bought the Comet UHV4, which is a bit long (I have to fold it over before I enter the garage) but it works really nice on all bands.  The only thing is the tuning stub makes it look a bit weird compared to my other dual band antenna.  But I have ham radio plates on the car so people know what the antenna is for. Wink

The only thing I don't like is that you can view only the alpha tag or the frequency.  Can't do both like the Kenwood.  Also, I've repeatedly sent it into WIRES mode and can't seem to remember how to get it out.  The learning curve is high with these new radios, and thankfully I have the computer cable and software to go with it.
NN8Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 02:46:43 PM »

The IC2100H is a great radio and they can be had on ebay for 120 bucks or so.

A dual band such as the IC2720 or Yaesu FT8800 gives you 70cm band fm capability, plus either of these radios can be used as a cross band repeater.  That can be handy when away from your vehicle; the rig can be brought up with a small, low-power, inexpensive handheld which you might pick up later on.

If you can't find enough people to talk on on a dual band 2m/70cm FM, then give up.

If more modes/bands is appealing, then go for a quad band such as the Yaesu FT8900, but the number of people to talk to on 6m or 10m FM is going to be relatively limited in most areas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: