The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing HF Mobile rig in 1996 Blazer  (Read 1192 times)
K4ARD

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2001, 01:16:08 AM »

I am thinking of installing a moble hf rig in my '96 Blazer but my problem is that I don't know where to put it ( a safe place, but not wanting to drill holes )..As a ham thats been away from hobby for a few yrs., What would be my best route as far as instalation ?
 In advance ..Thanks for reply.

Regards,

Brian ka4zrf

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2001, 07:38:10 PM »

Will you use a small modern rig or an older rig ?

If your radio is not too large, how about using
an older laptop computer case or small luggage.

I mount my ts-50 in a small laptop case to a
piece of plexiglass and it is strapped in tight.
I have small slots cut in the plexiglass (used my
dremel tool or router) and that belts it in.

As for power, you can route wired from battery
alon the hood cable path and into the car.

I ride alone so I just seatbelt the case in on
the front seat just to keep the radio from flying
if I have to panic stop.

Post back if you need more help.

73 to you.
KB8SRK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2001, 10:01:16 AM »

I am currently working on an install in a 1997 Blazer LT, and I'm running into the same problems...  However, unfortunately in my case, drilling holes may be the only solution.

I have mounted a Kenwood TM-261A Monoband 2meter to the dash panel just below the 'storage cubby' and the radio.  I'd be happy to post pics of my mobile install if you'd like.  I am currently in the process of mounting an Alinco DX-70Td mobile with the remote head just to the left of that closer towards the steering wheel.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I will have to drill holes, so i drilled some more!  I'm an avid off-roader as well as mobile-ham operator.  So I've mounted a CB, some handheld FRS radios with quick release clips for easy handheld access, and some other small items.  

For antenna coax routing, i routed the coax under the center console and through the carpet to the back seats, then up through the plastic beside the rear passenger seat into the headliner.  Then through the headliner to the rear hatch, where i drilled another hole to the outside and sealed it with a grommet.

Most of my antennas are mounted to a Safari Rack I have on top of my factory cargo roof rack.  the surco safari rack acts as a good ground and mounting point, so no drilling holes in the roof ( I do try to avoid that when possible.)

I love doing mobil installs, whether it be ham, stereo etc.  Any pics, ideas, etc are always welcome with me!
KB3CDF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2001, 03:55:16 PM »

Howdy:

1999 Blazer LS:

I mounted the 706mkiig, seperated, control head to the metal piece to which the center cup holders "clip-to-fit". This was done with a homemade 1/8" steel bracket.  I don't have the center console option.

The remaining radio is vertically mounted behind the rear, passenger side seat on the plastic flap that lays flat over the crevase when the seat is folded down. It is grounded to the bolt that holds the seat in place (frame).

Here is my trick.  I purchased a hard plastic, dish drying rack and mounted it over the radio.  This provides "armor plating" for abusive trunk loading but allows for proper ventaltion in the "hatchback-like", SUV trunk. I don't have the paten on disk racks.  Applied in this manner, one might be in violation... HI.  

2nd Radio under ash tray.

{My humble opinion}
Drill the holes and have fun, ... unless the vehicle is leased..."TOUGH, (H.Simpson)"  Has anyone every made money selling a used car over what was payed as the showroom - original price?
KC5EXM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2001, 12:57:52 AM »

I have a 1996 chevy blazer and I need some advice on HF and tall VHF antenna mounting.  I want to mount a 6 foot or so VHF whip (no spring so can't be on top--mount due to trees .  also must be pretty hefty as antenna has some bulk)  I want to also mount a Hamstick antenna (anywhere) .   Holes are fine. I am open to any suggestions, pictures welcome.  Please email directly at  kc5exm@datalinkok.com  

Also open to creative multiple radio mounting systems (I am game for ripping out the center console) again I do not mind drilling holes.    
KB9KAI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2001, 10:19:51 AM »

Hello! I have a '96 Blazer & it took me yrs to choose how I wanted to mount my ham radios!
What I finially did a few yrs back was, I took out the plactic center console. I got it put away here in the house, just in case i ever hve to sell the blzer, i can put it back in.
  I bought some flat steel & carefully bent the ends so i can mount it right to the same bolts that the center console had come from. And i drilled holes where i may want to add things to it later.  
  Than I took another flat steel, & bent it into a u shape, & drilled holes along each side.  Then i bought some other steel, so i can make horizal brackets for the radios to mount to.
 Right now, I have my ft-100 And  the kenwood th-D7 along w/ a GPS for aprs & voice.
 Then for ant mounts: I hated to go drilling holes in the roof or sides & mag mounts don't work either, as they get knocked dwn going into/out of the garage.   So i got me a flat steel, drilled lots of holes in it. And put it at the back of the luggage rack, near where the luggage rack bolts to the roof.  And i have that steel grounded to the rear of the blzer from the rear door.   Also all my ant cables & power from the comes in from the rear... No holes were made...     Hope this helps.  If not i can be found at kb9kai@mail.com    73, mark,  kb9kai...
K4ARD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2001, 07:44:09 PM »

I recently purchased a kenwood ts-50 & hamstick ant., haven't installed them yet..advise is welcome ..along w/ pictures of rigs, setup,ect.

73-
Brian / ka4zrf

ka4zrf@arrl.net
WA7UVX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2001, 03:16:28 PM »

Check my web at http://jringersoll.tripod.com for pictures.
I installed my DX70 and a 102" whip with the EDX-2 auto tuner. The antenna mount is a piece of steel mounted on the left rear corner of the vehicle in the tail lite housing. I used a RS 3/8 stud 24 thread mount. The DX70 mounts in the front using the bottom support bail hooked over the cassette tray (see pictures). The antenna mount is used with an Outbacker Perth Plus and a 102" 11M whip and the EDX2.

Send me email for questions (wa7uvx@arrl.net)

John, WA7UVX
WB1BPV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2002, 03:11:06 PM »

Check out Lakeview at http://www.hamstick.com/.They have tri-mag mounts that work with the hamstick.Just pop it on the roof and it works great.I have one I use on my Jeep Grand Cherokee while runing an Alnco Dx-70T with between 10 and 100 watts.It is awesome!!!These mounts have withstood going 70mph, but be careful with underpasses.I actually broke the mount when the antenna, which with the roof mount is close to 15ft(20 meters)hit the underpass and flew off my car.The antenna survived, but the mount needed a little work.

Good luck and happy qsoing!!!
73's
David....
N5RO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 05:32:07 AM »

Just for info, I've found that I can "install" a remote head for a rig (as I've done with my 706 MKII) on top of the "storage console" in the center of my van, using Goop or Shoe Goo (both are the same thing - same manufacturer) which is easily removable later, with care and pliers. No holes to drill.  Same with remote speaker.
This should work for the dash too but you have to somehow hold things in place for 24 hour cure time.
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: