The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What antenna works best  (Read 1313 times)
KC5HMC

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2004, 09:48:34 AM »

I am trying to find a good antenna for HF moble. I would like to have something that can be used from 80m to 10m. Does anyone have any reccomendations.
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 09:54:50 AM »

I am working on the same thing right now. I would say it depends on:

1) How much you want to spend

2) How tolerant your XYL is of an antenna on the car

3) What you want to do operations wise

4) Type of vehicle and mounting possibilities

I have narrowed it down to a Tar-Heel, Hi-Q or High Sierra but I am not in a rush. These are all excellent antennas by reputation from what I find and all have models that will do 6-80 in my price range.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your search and installation works out.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 03:25:51 PM »

Remember this: One man's treasure is another man's junk. In other words, what I'd bolt on my car, you might not ever consider.

One of the best all-band antennas is the HiQ. It costs about half again what others like it cost, but you get what you pay for.

Mono band antennas come is so many different sizes and shapes, it's hard to know where to start. Some, like the Hamstick, are light, easy to install, but are very lossy when compared to the aforementioned. The king-of-the-hill for mono band antennas is Hustler. I suspect more of them have been sold than all the rest combined.

If convenience and band hopping is your thing, then a decent antenna and an auto-coupler might be in order.

If you need additional information, visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 08:35:31 PM »

If you want complete coverage without having to get out and change antenna parts, any of the FULL SIZE motorized antennas will be good, although I am partial to the High Sierra line.

Having tried Hustlers and HamStick-style antennas, I concluded they are not worth the effort of messing with them. Just know that proper installation and grounding is everything in an HF mobile situation.

I have an HS 1800Pro on my windstar and would switch to anything else if it were free. As for the XYL, it's my vehicle and she has no say-so about antennas. Besides she says it makes it easier to find in the parking lots. Just put a little flag on the top of the whip when you leave the vehicle. <g>

Lon

G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 01:44:09 PM »

Short answer, none. There is no antenna which works from 10 metres to 80 metres mobile
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 02:46:58 PM »

<< Short answer, none. There is no antenna which works from 10 metres to 80 metres mobile   >>

Absolutely untrue!!!

I have 26 states and 41 countries on 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 and 40 and 80 mobile with the same antenna. The same antenna I use for 20m DX, very successfully I might add, I also use for MARS nets just above and below 40 and 80m as well as 60m.

On any given MARS regional net above 40m, I routinely talk into nine states every net in the mornings. I routinely talk into 5 states on 5mhz in the mornings when I am mobile. I routine talk into several states in the NE US from central Maryland and West Virginia above 75/80m in the evenings mobile.

Maybe you guys in the UK don't do it, but Stateside hams do it ona a daily basis.

Lon
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 02:53:17 PM »

Well, Mel, I'm with Lon on this one. Several companies make 6 thru 160 meter mobile antennas. While I might agree they are a compromise, so is every other HF mobile antenna. In short, it is always best to think mediation of loss in a mobile antenna, not gain.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 06:00:46 PM »

<< In short, it is always best to think mediation of loss in a mobile antenna, not gain. >>

I like it! That sounds better than using the phrase "negative gain" . Smiley

Just out of curiosity, why are you so strong on the Hi-Q antennas  v the rest of the pack?

Lon
WA4JM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 04:36:00 AM »

I have used all types of antennas for HF mobiling on several vehicles.

What I've found is:

One cannot over-do grounding and bonding.  If you use a trunk mount make sure you bond the trunk lid with the body of the vehicle.  Bonding the exhuast system to the body is a good idea.  Also, don't forget the hood for noise mitigation.

ANTENNAS I'VE USED:

Hamsticks-80 thru 15 meters,  These antennas work well from 20 meters and up.  On 40 and 80 they pretty much suck, especially on 80-75 meters.  If you must use a hamstick on 40 and 80, you absoulutly need a matching device at the base.  I use am airdux type coil with a clip to ground.  Hamstick and others sell this coil.  Tune the antenna without the clip attached until you get the lowest SWR which may only be 3:1 on 75 meters.  Then move the tap on the coil and you will get it to 1:1.  You're ready to go. Price-about $20 per band not including mount.

Texas Bugcatcher-This is the best antenna I have ever used.  Tunes similar to the Hamstick.  You also need a matching coils at the bottom.  These are huge antennas but the work very well and are always at the top in antenna shootouts.  Price-$200 for 80-10 meters, not including mount.

MFJ Manual Screwdriver Antenna- I am using this now.  As shipped it comes with a 4.5 and a 10 foot stinger.  The 4.5 allows for 40 thru 6 meters by sliding the sleeve up and down.  I tossed the 4.5 foot radiating element and replaced it with a 6 foot CB whip.  It's trunk mounted and works down to 3900 on 75 meters.  It also needs a matching coil at the bottom.  Cost is $129 not including mount.  The results I get are much better than Hamsticks and somewhat less than the Bug Catcher.  I like it.

KC5HMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 12:32:06 PM »

I went with the Texas Bug Catcher after trying the Hustler antennas. The difference is night and day. At this time I have a manual tuner, but I am looking at some auto tuners. Thanks for all the replies.

Herb
KC5HMC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: