The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NMO installation pics  (Read 1769 times)
KG4QEV

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2006, 10:01:10 PM »

I am thinking about getting a mobile setup.  I am currently looking at an Icom 2200h with an Austin Dual band 2M/440 antenna with an NMO mount.  I have a 98 Toyota Tacoma and would like to mount it in the center of the roof.  I'd like to know if anyone has any installation pics for an NMO mount.  I am interested in seeing how you routed your cable from the mount to the radio inside the cab.  Haven't decided yet on whether or not I want to tackle the installation or take it to a radio shop to have it done.  Thanks!

- Chad
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 05:07:23 AM »

Go to my web site, and look under Installs. If you see one you need more information on, I'll either give you an e-mail address for the owner, or I'll fire you off pictures not on-line.

I do have a few suggestions about NMO installing, both in the VHF Options and Antenna articles.

Also, check the Photo Gallery. I put a lot of the extra stuff I don't have room for in it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 05:58:31 AM »

If you take it to a mobile radio shop and have it done you will miss out on gaining the knowledge and experience.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:51:02 AM »

The antenna on my old civic was on the roof and in the center and NMO mount (it was a motorola antenna and mount). It wasn't a very good antenna (1/4 wave whip for 2 meters) but due to its position and the fact that it had a good ground plane it worked very well.

One of my ham friends worked at a radio shop and he got me the antenna and helped me install it.

The hole was drilled right by the dome light but away from the crossbar.  The reason for doing that is so that you won't have to take down the entire headliner to route the coax.

Then it went down the side by the A pillar in front and routed to the center by where I mounted the rig.  Wire ties secured the cable.  No SRS to worry about (it was a 1993) so that wasn't taken into consideration, but if you have side curtain airbags I would recommend that you route down the pillar by the seatbelt.
KG4QEV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 10:06:29 AM »

Thanks for all of the quick responses guys.  AA4PB - yeah I agree with you.  I think it would be a valuble learning experience to do the install myself, and that is what I would prefer to do.  I just want to do the research and ensure that this will be something that I won't be in over my head on.  I want a nice safe and clean installation.  Sounds pretty straight forward though.  

Thanks for the tips AB2MH.  I need to take a closer look at my headliner and pillars as this is where most of my concern is.  No side airbags so I am good to go there.  I may do another search to see if anyone with a Tacoma pickup has a similar installation to see how they routed their coax.

Thanks Alan.  I will definitely check out your site and pictures.  I'll try not to bug you too much if I have any questions.  Smiley  

- Chad
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 04:46:52 PM »

hi chad,

if you decide to do the work yourself,
here is a link for the best hole saw
Antenex - HS34 - 3/4 hole saw
http://www.antenex.com/

http://www.radiooutfitter.com/store/HS34.html

73 james
KG4QEV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 05:38:12 PM »

Thanks for the tip James.  I will definitely go with the Antenex hole saw for a clean installation.  I appreciate the web link too.  That is the cheapest place I've seen the hole saw advertised.

- Chad
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 06:48:59 PM »

hi chad,

you're welcome !

forgot the link for the nmo mount the MB8

http://www.radiooutfitter.com/store/MB8.html

73 james
KG4QEV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 10:12:35 PM »

Thanks again for everyone's tips and suggestions.  I have ordered an NMO mount and a hole saw.  My current plan is to install the NMO mount to hook up to a cb radio that I already have. Once I finish researching and decide on a good 2m radio I will install a second NMO mount.  I am also looking into the right combination of components for a RAM mount to secure the radios in the cab.  I'll try and put together some pics and a step by step installation of what I've done on my website once I finish.

- Chad
KG4QEV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 06:49:10 PM »

I finally had some time to install an NMO mount today. I had ordered an NMO mount, Austen dual band antenna, and an Antenex antenna for my cb. The Austen is still on backorder and I haven't decided on a 2m rig yet so I decided to go ahead and install the NMO mount and get my cb hooked up while I wait to get all the equip for my 2m. Since my Antenex cb antenna is also an NMO mount I will be able to swap the 2 out when I want, but more than likely I will install a second NMO mount so that I can have a permanent mount for both.

The installation went great. Thanks to the advise from James about the hole saw and Alan's website (tons of info worth its weigh in gold) everything went smoothly. I have 2 pics up on my website right now, which you can view here:

http://members.aol.com/Daedlus4/nmoinstall.html

It was starting to get dark, I'll take some better pictures in the daylight later. I took several pictures during the install and I hope to have a visual progression of the install from start to finish up on my site in the near future when I get time to mess with it. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions!

- Chad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: