The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glass Mount Antenna on Leer Cap?  (Read 1630 times)
VE1HUP

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2006, 09:20:30 AM »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has mounted a glass mount 2m/70cm antenna on a leer truck cap (shell, topper, etc.)  The cap has tinted windows and I have mounted antennas to tinted windows in vehicles without problem.  I know it comes down to what is used to tint the glass (metallic) and I am trying to find out from Leer what is used in their glass.  Would just like to know if anyone else has tried to do this?

Please no comments on the performance of glass mount antennas.  I am already aware of their limitations.

Many thanks and 73,

Darryl
VE1HUP
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:00:52 PM »

<<  Would just like to know if anyone else has tried to do this? >>

Nope. I put using a glass mount antenna in the same category as having a social disease. <g>

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 04:26:21 PM »

That is only the start of your problems. The cap is fiberglass and not grounded so how would you be able to have a good antenna ground to work against. If you want a low impact antenna just get a small pig tail antenna magmount (I see Alan and Lon about to fall outta their chairs <G>) or NMO.

Dan S
KO1D
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 06:41:14 PM »

I think you know both of us too well Dan.

Glass mount antennas use the coax which feeds them as a ground plane. That alone is enough reason not to use one. Secondly, most window glass is passivated; it has a large percentage of metallic compounds in the glass to darken them, and allow them to filter out UV rays. This negates their use on about 90% of the late-model vehicles.

I can't speak about the"glass" windows, or even the fiberglass most camper tops are made of. However, any vertical antenna without a proper ground plane amounts to not much more than a dummy load on a stick.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

VE1KS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 10:08:24 AM »

What part of "no comments on the performance of glass mount antennas" do you all not understand?

For all you "experts" out there, no one seems to be an expert at reading and comprehending.

I would only be interested in hearing only from people that HAVE put a glass mount on a Leer. Anyone else's opinion is really irrelevant to me.

I am sure that's what VE1HUP is only interested in as well.

Rob VE1KS
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 11:39:38 AM »

Rob, if you're looking for a positive report on a glass mount antenna, you can find one easy enough. You can find the same positive reports on the J-Pole and W5GI wonder antenna. That fact alone, does not in itself tell you if they are efficient, RFI free, or any other attribute. A light bulb attached to the end of the coax will garner you contacts, so subjective testing isn't an answer either. The important point is, compared to "?" is it a better antenna, or words to the effect.

The real truth is this. For the vast majority of amateurs, on 2 meters, and on 440, a standard old 1/4 wave whip will work as good (better in most cases) than any gain antenna. The caveat is, if it is mounted correctly. It does, after all, need a ground plane under it, like any other mobile vertical antenna.

In the case of the glass mount, the ground plane under it is the coax cable running to your radio. In other words, it is acting like the other half of the dipole.

Will it work? Sure. Will you be able to make contacts? Sure. Are there better alternatives? Absolutely.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 11:56:20 AM »

Rob:

Chill out. Drop the attitude and insults.

I seriously doubt Leer or any other cap maker uses passivated glass - it's too expensive for what they are doing. Put the antenna on it and see what happens.

If you are satisfied with the sub-standard performance from such an installation, far be it from me to try to disuade you.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
VE1HUP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »

Gents,

I specifically added the line "no comments.." so that those of you who do not like these antennas would not bother to tell me how bad they are, etc.  I would like to hear from someone who HAS tried this scenario and what their results were.

Thanks

73, Darryl
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »

If the antenna is a 1/2 wave antenna then it should not be so bad as a 1/2 wave antenna is "ground independant" as they say.I ran a Larsen 1/2 wave glass mount  2m monobander on my pickup many years ago and had pretty good performance.Of course I had better performance with my 7/8 wave I installed later.I would not like having the antenna on the cap however because if you ever needed to remove the cap it would be a pain due to the antenna coax etc.Is the truck an extended cab? If so use one of the rear side windows and the problem is solved.Just don't mount it on the windshield,God that looks stoooopid. LOL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 10:59:51 AM »

Close, but no banana. Although the antenna is called a 1/2 wave, it isn't. Secondly, it is a misconception that half waves don't need a ground plane. They do. Perhaps "less dependent" might be a better description.

Doesn't make much difference, a major portion of the radiation is from the coax, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Sort of reminds me of the J-pole antenna. Just because they "work", doesn't make them a good antenna either. Fact is, most of the radiation from a J-pole is from the coax.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 12:22:12 PM »

The Radial/Larsen KG Series glass mount antennas work very well. I recommend nothing less.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
909-999-SATS
W1WEC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 07:23:13 PM »

I tested the rear side windows on my 2002 RAM2500 Quad cab and the side windows on the Leer cap mounted on the bed before deciding to install my Larsen KG series on the truck windows.  I found no sign of passivated glass and from a test mounting of the antenna to both I found no issues with losses (SWR or signal strength) thru either compared to untinted glass.  

Hope that is useful.

Walter
W1WEC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: