The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting control head on top of dash  (Read 1297 times)
KC6TJK

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2006, 01:23:11 PM »

I would like to mount the control head to my TM-D700 on top of the dash in my Chevy Tahoe. I was wondering if the direct sun and high heat would damage the display or the plastic of the control head. Anyone experience any problems doing this?

Thanks
Bob
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 02:02:14 PM »

In a word or two, I wouldn't do it. LCDs don't like heat (or very cold) temperature. The screen will blanch out, and you will not be able to read it until it cools off. I personally have never had one fail, but I have been told many times that it has.

I suggest you go to my web site, and pull up the article on Installations for some ideas. I also have a bunch of pictures in my Photo Gallery.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 03:45:40 PM »

LCDs often go "black" from temperature extremes, and the dash is a location that likely accelerates that problem.

If you do mount anything on the dash, secure it permanently with screws so it doesn't become a missile should you be involved in an accident.

I once saw the result of an IC-706 front panel that was held on with "Velcro" go so far and so fast it broke the cable connector and jumped into the back seat.  If someone's head had been in its way, they could have been blinded.

WB2WIK/6
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »

hi bob,

try mounting the control head lower on the dash,

panavise or ramline make nice mounts

http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/index.html

http://www.ram-mount.com/

73 james
KE6GLW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 12:32:35 PM »

I have a control head that is mounted slightly in front of and a little bit over the dash. I do cover it with a folded paper map to keep it a bit cooler and out of direct sunlight. Left in a closed black car with full sun and 90degF days, I haven't encountered a problem with the LCD. But YMMV.

KC6TJK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 08:53:27 AM »

I ended making a mount and mounting it lower on the dash, I didn't want to take any chances with the heat and having a display issue. Thanks for everyones help.

Bob
KC6TJK
KE6VG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 06:01:22 PM »

I made a mount using a rear view mirror mount that I picked up at a local PepBoys Auto Parts store for $5. It swivels, bends, yet is stiff. It works great. It is screwed and glued to the dash under the radio and A/C. You can rest your arm on the center seat rest and reach and view the dials perfectly. The head of the Yaesu FT100 is held to the mount with screws... and I didn't need to modify anything. I used the predrilled holes in the separation kit and the mirror mount. It looks like a professional arm mount. My little secret. Don't tell anyone.
KS4XN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 08:07:07 PM »

Ke6VG: You happen to have a part# on that. trying to look at pep boys online...thanks.
KE6VG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 07:42:24 PM »

I couldn't tell you. I just walked into the store and it was on the shelf where the rearview mirror repair stuff was. It is a little short 2-3" long arm with a pivot on both sides. I'm sure you would see one very similar at any discount auto parts store. It was just the arm, no mirror. It is nice and stiff and lets me position the radio head at any angle I want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: