The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m Installations in 05 or 06 Toyota Tacoma?  (Read 1902 times)
VE1HUP

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2006, 02:45:55 PM »

Hi,

Will be getting a new 06 Tacoma Access Cab next month and was poking around one in the showroom today trying to fine possible mounting locations for a 2m rig. Was looking at buying an Icom 208h for it and I am not too worried about finding a spot for the faceplate, it is the rig itself that I am worried about!  Very little unused space with any kind of ventilation.  About the only 2 spots I could see were on the back side of the center console or perhaps under one of the front seats...yuck.  Anyone out there with a 2005-6 Tacoma that has come up with something better?

Thanks.

73, Darryl
VE1HUP
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »

<<  perhaps under one of the front seats...yuck.>>

What's the problem with under the front seat, if it works?

On my '03 Windstar the dual band rig is mounted under the passenger front seat and my Alinco DX-70TH is mounted under the driver's seat. This is the second Windstar that I have used these rigs in with the rigs under the front seats.

No problems with ventilation or anything else.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
VE1HUP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 05:42:42 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Lon.  I guess there is probably nothing wrong with this location, but I have visions of the feedline or some other cable getting caught in the seat tracks.  Nothing that a neat, secure cabling job couldn't handle I suppose.

73, Darryl
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 05:54:06 AM »

You might be surprised how far some folks will go to mount gear in their vehicle. I don't have the URL, but one of our folks here on eham.net almost literally tore the complete insides out of a new Honda Ridgeline to install sound and video gear. The photos (to a car lover) as worse than some autopsy photos I've seen. I have one installation on my web site, you won't believe either.

You might have to remove the seats to do all of the work, but the effort is worth the time and expense if you want a safe and sane installation.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »

<< Nothing that a neat, secure cabling job couldn't handle I suppose. >>

That's exactly the case. You do it right the first time, there are no problems with cables getting caught.

It does take some planning and forethought, though. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KI0KY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 09:29:47 AM »

Darryl,

I have the "new for 05" larger Tacoma.  I put my IC706MkII G underneath the driver's seat and mounted the bracket for the remote head on the vertical surface below the heater/ac controls.  The control cable goes from the head into the small package tray next to the steering column and then down the right side of the molding around the column to underneath floor mats.  I drilled two small screw holes in the panel.  The control head position is ok but not great.  It would be easier to see if it were up higher.  I am thinking about getting a mounting device  for the control head.  There is intermittant noise on HF with the engine running.  It does not seriously degrade listening with the 7906's dsp turned on.  

Steve Schroder
VE1HUP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 02:39:19 PM »

Thanks Steve. Just curious if you mounted it on a board and slid it under, removed the seat first or if it is just sitting there.  Also, any interference on 2m?

Thanks in advance.

73, Darryl
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 06:16:30 PM »

<< Just curious if you mounted it on a board and slid it under, removed the seat first or if it is just sitting there. >>

Regardless of the response you get, no radio should be mounted by just sliding it under the seat, whether first attached to a board or not. The radio's mounting bracket should be screwed or bolted into the floor. Failure to do this could well lead to the radio coming forward from under the seat in a panic stop and becoming tangled in the driver's feet.

Under no curcumstances should radios, expecially the heavier HF rigs, not be firmly attached to wherever they are mounted on. The same goes for control heads - screw or bolt them down. Never use Velcro (R); it will almost always release in an accident making the control head an unguided missle inside your vehicle.

Properly installed HF and dual band rigs and antennas will not interfer with each other. My Larsen NMO270B and my Larsen NMO50 anttennas are four feet apart and the NMO50 is three feet from my High Sierra 1800Pro. No interaction between any of them.

Go over to Alan's site and read the information there. It is the best time you will spend prior to installing your radio(s). www.k0gb.com.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

KI0KY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 08:03:25 AM »

I just have the rig on the floor.  It is connected to a Turbo Tuner for HF.  There is no interference on 2 mtrs.

Steve
VE1HUP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 04:24:48 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 02:09:29 PM »

I took half of the back seat out and mounted my radio
against an aluminum plate that I made to fit the
existing screw holes. Then I made a small aluminum
plate to fit under the rear view mirror to mount
the radio faceplate and used a remote kit to
connect the two. I ran my antenna coax behind the
side panels to the roof. For HF, I cut a hole in the
grommet that is inside the utility box under the rear
seat. I mount my antenna on an L bracket that is
attached to the trailer hitch hole.
Power is provided by a #6 direct to a fuse
holder and then the battery.
Ground is #6 direct to frame. Works great.
73 ,
Tim
WA4PTZ
K0BOJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 05:16:35 PM »

Hi, Just ran accross your question about installing in a 06 Tacoma. I finished up my install and you can see it on the following site.  http://home.earthlink.net/~hamlet130/tacomaradioinstall/
Hope this might help if you haven't got yours in yet.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: