The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mag mount cable routing?  (Read 6509 times)
CHRISDM

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:43:42 AM »

Hi all, I just ordered a Diamond mr77swa mag mount antenna for my HT. The installation instructions say not to "pinch cables in windows or body panels"... I want to be able to move the antenna from the car to the office easily. How can I route the antenna in the car? Can I not shut it in the car door? BTW, my auto is a a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Thanks,
CHRISDM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 01:55:18 PM »

I just took a look at my Cherokee, and the weather stripping around the rear hatch seems soft and large enough to be able to run a cable through. However, routing the cable to the rear of the vehicle would be more of a semi-permanent fixture. I'll just have to buy two!

Also, the reviews here on the MR77SMA antenna mention a "right angle connector", although I can't find this part.  Does anyone know about this?

Thanks,
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:51:36 PM »

Just to set the record at the right place; I do not categorically like mag mount antennas. As of the last Friday, at least two people have been killed when mag mounted antennas have dislodged when a crash occurred.

As you have indicated, there almost isn't a route for the coax that will not, in some way, pinch the coax. Two: no matter what you read, mag mount antennas scratch the surface they are attached to. And, the hidden issue is, most mag mount displays attach the antenna to a rather thick chunk of metal. The metal of the average vehicle nowadays is considerably lees than 16 gauge. The result is, the mag mount NEVER sticks as well as they do in the showroom.

While you might not want to drill a hole to properly mount an amateur radio antenna, there are other solutions.

The fact you ordered a Comet mobile antenna, also tells me you opted for this antenna because it had more GAIN than its competitors. Gain is NOT the ultimate measure of any antenna, especially a VHF one.

If you want more information about this, you can visit my web site, and look under VHF Options. Or, you can do a Google search and find out what others are saying.

Anal, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

CHRISDM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:38:18 PM »

"As of the last Friday, at least two people have been killed when mag mounted antennas have dislodged when a crash occurred."

-  I think I can handle these odds. I imagine more people were killed eating macaroni and cheese. Or, at least more people were killed tring to tune mobile radios while driving...

"As you have indicated, there almost isn't a route for the coax that will not, in some way, pinch the coax. Two: no matter what you read, mag mount antennas scratch the surface they are attached to. And, the hidden issue is, most mag mount displays attach the antenna to a rather thick chunk of metal. The metal of the average vehicle nowadays is considerably lees than 16 gauge. The result is, the mag mount NEVER sticks as well as they do in the showroom."

- Maybe a more permantent solution is in order. It will have to be compatible with my VX-7 though.

"While you might not want to drill a hole to properly mount an amateur radio antenna, there are other solutions."

- Like what?

"The fact you ordered a Comet mobile antenna, also tells me you opted for this antenna because it had more GAIN than its competitors. Gain is NOT the ultimate measure of any antenna, especially a VHF one."

- Actually, the one I chose is made by Diamond. And I chose it because it got the best reviews of the SMA-compatible mag mount kits.

"If you want more information about this, you can visit my web site, and look under VHF Options. Or, you can do a Google search and find out what others are saying."

- I checked out your website, thanks for a bunch of great info. I did find a lot of mobile info, however I'm more interested in handheld units and solutions.

Thanks again for the response.
KF2TI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 06:51:48 PM »

I too would like to see the source of the accident, not that I am doubting it, but I saw pictures of a recent head on accident here on RTE 80 in NNJ (at hiway speeds) and the interesting thing was the mag nount in the center of the roof of one vehicle was still on the roof..and this, unfortuately, involved fatalities, so I think the comment is not a definitve reply but subjective.  In fact my mag mounted antenna took a direct hoit from a rather large bird, while I was traveling on I81 and never moved...anyway...

I had a Grand Cherokee.  Mount the antenna close to the rear hatch, route the cable on the on the outside of the raer hatch weather seal, bring it under the door and route the rest under the rear tire flooring

You won;t have any pinching and you won;t have any leaks from rain
CHRISDM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 09:11:50 PM »

"I had a Grand Cherokee. Mount the antenna close to the rear hatch, route the cable on the on the outside of the raer hatch weather seal, bring it under the door and route the rest under the rear tire flooring

You won;t have any pinching and you won;t have any leaks from rain"

- Thanks, that's where I was looking at mounting it. The weather stripping around the hatch looks like it will be pretty nice to a cable.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 04:03:39 PM »

hi,

good idea on the rear hatch route,
I used that for my taurus wagon.

the other night there was a head on crash on
I-40 here in raleigh-durham, 3am, one driver
made a fatal turn at an exit ramp and entered
the highway in the wrong direction.

I've lost count of the number of trucks and cars
that are towing trailers and do not install the safety chains the correct way.  They should be cris-crossed before hooking to the hitch.

73 james
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 08:59:35 PM »

<<"As of the last Friday, at least two people have been killed when mag mounted antennas have dislodged when a crash occurred.">>

So which statement is more True....

a) Friday's and mag mounts don't go together.

b) Mag mounts cause crashes.

c) Mag mount antennas dislodge when at least two people   are killed in a crash.

d) Mag mount antennas dislodge when crashes occur.

e) Mag mounts kill, unequivocally.
K0KZO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 07:17:14 AM »

I would just save a few more bucks and get a better antenna. You don't need to drill any visible holes.  Just get an appropriate mount for your situation.  I use an L-mount on my front fender opposite my AM/FM whip of my Ford Explorer and use a 1/2 wave antenna.

73, Doug
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 08:16:58 PM »

I have a Comet BB5 antenna mounted on a hatch lip mount on the drivers side edge of my 96 Grand Cherokee. It is down from the top corner of the hatch enough so that the tip of the antenna is an inch lower than the overhead clearance of the parking garage I enter every day. It has been working fine since 2000 when it was installed. My cable is NOT routed as you describe and it leaks a bit in heavy rain.

If I have enough slack, I will try to reroute it so that it enters the hatch from the bottom after a drip loop. That should solve the leak issue.

My radio, an FT8900,  is mounted behind the full size spare tire, which is vertical on the inside drivers side rear quarter panel. This provides physical protection, is out of site and gets good cooling air. The control panel is on the dash fastened to a homebrew bracket secured in an existing screw hole in the dash. It is located above the A/C Heater Controls. Bracket was made from hardware store aluminum angle and galvanized steel timber joining plates and pop-riveted together. After spraying all with flat black paint it looks and works well. Someday I will do a better job of hiding the cables inside the dash.. But all is safe and secure if not beautiful. The remote speaker, a very small one is mounted in between the seats on the front edge of the console storage compartment. It is small enough it does not interfere with the cup holders.

Power is run direct from the battery to the radio, entering the passenger compartment from the space between the inner fender liner and the fender. The cable enters the drivers front kick space from the boot from the door cable harness. I slit the boot ran the cable and siliconed the slit back up. Not elegant but it worked. I could not get through the available cable grommets and drilling the firewall seemed hard to find a safe spot. I ran 10 Gauge wire as it is a long run to the rear from the battery which is at the vehicle front on the passenger side. Where the cable entered the passenger compartment I left a slack loop and a powerpole splice so that I can in future make a tap for other radios installed in the front.

I hope you can get some ideas for your installation from mine.

Good Luck and 73 de Walt N2IK

73 de Walt N2IK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: