The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Subaru Outback VHF/UHF install  (Read 8587 times)
N0ZPY

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2006, 10:00:46 AM »

I just purchased a 2003 Outback Ltd and will be intalling my TM-741 (11/4m, 2m, 70cm) in it.  I will probably have to do a remote mount and am a little paranoid about the airbag controller, computers, et. al. electronics.
I'm not afraid to drill holes for antennae and will run heavy cable from the battery for power.
Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:36:03 PM »

You can peruse my web site; look under VHF Options, Wiring, and Antennas.

I wouldn't worry about the airbags, as long as you do a decent installation. That includes PROPER wiring. Although you occasionally see recommendations about using vehicle wiring (Accessory sockets), or modifying an existing fuse, the best advice I can give you is; DON'T!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N0ZPY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 07:44:08 AM »

Thanks for your reply and the good information on your website.
KF2TI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 05:14:22 PM »

I ran 8 Ga FUSED wire from the battery to the back of my 2004 Outback wagon, to run an 706 MKII, with no problems  The remote head is mounted on the center console just in front of the energency hand brake (pics are aavailable)  The main unit is heavily grounded to a bolt for the rear seat

Now if I could find a good place to attach a Taheel screwdriver antenna, I could get rid of the magnounts..yes I know all ab out the pros and cons, but there is no other way to get on the air
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 08:18:21 AM »

<< Now if I could find a good place to attach a Taheel screwdriver antenna, >>

Three possibilities:

(1) if you have a Class IV hitch platform, you can get a mount that slips into the receiver socket. Of course this is useless if you actually use the hitch to tow a trailer. <g>

(2) Have a 1.5" or 2" square steel tube welded to the rear-most transverse portion of the hitch platform and a vertical post welded to the end of the tube to fasten the Tarheel mount to. This vertical section should be on the left side of the vehicle and extend out about 5 inches. This is how I have my High Sierra 1800 mounted.

(3) If no hitch platform, have the tubing welded direct to the rear frame of the vehicle or across the bumper mounts.

There are just about always mounting options other than a mag mount. I would be scared to death of the possibility of the mag-mount (even a 4-mag one) with a big motorized antenna on it. A panic stop from 60 mph is almost certain to rip the mount loose and send it flying forward as an unguided missle. This is my personal observation, but I would give up HF mobile before using any HF antenna on any mag mount.

Lon W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KF2TI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 10:22:27 AM »

Thanks for the reply Lon, but (A) no trailer hitch and (B) welding tubing on only to have some little A-hole bend it into the side of my car like the last time is not an option.  I want to get rid of the magnopunts to improve the performance of the antenna and not having HF is not an option, as I travel extensively and rag-chewing with friends in the Caribbean helps pass time and miles.

But curious, what is a 60mph panic stop and how does that differ from a 20 mph sudden stop (which happens alot here during rush hour in NNJ)?  I've never seen,, heard nor experienced a panic stop at 60 mph.  I would imagine that at that speed, the distance travelled would be in excess of 150', allowing for brake fade, and some tire smoke, but not enough force to dislodge a rather hefty set of magnets.  For the magnets to break loose like suggested would assume a sudden stop in much less distance

The lower speeds seem to exert higher forces

Are you referring to a crash at 60 mph??  In that case, I would think the antenna flying off somewhere would be the worst of my problems

I can not use the antenna to break the magnets loose, in fact I bent the quik disconnect on the anttenna trying to rearrange the magnets

The magmount in question is 3 -5" magnets arranged in a triangular pattern, approx 8" on center from each other.  As near as I can test they exert in excess to 1100# of holding force. The antenna is a Little Tarhell weighing less than 3#  and having a hieght of less than 20" w/o the antenmna mast and therefore would not extert enough forec in a suddent stop to break the magnets loose.

I'd be more concerned about kayaks and skis on some of these roof racks I see

Anyway, thanks for the suggests, I have an idea for some old mounting brackets that were on my Jeep, but they may need to be modifiied and bent

Sorry to be off the original topic
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 02:53:27 PM »

<< Thanks for the reply Lon, but (A) no trailer hitch and (B) welding tubing on only to have some little A-hole bend it into the side of my car like the last time is not an option.>>

Interesting - haven't had that happen on three different vehicles. I put about 30k miles on a vehicle each year. If some guy bends my 2" steel tube, he'll do much more damage to my vehicle than bending the antenna mount! That will be the least of the damage.

<< I want to get rid of the magnopunts to improve the performance of the antenna and not having HF is not an option, as I travel extensively and rag-chewing with friends in the Caribbean helps pass time and miles. >>

I would be hard pressed to survive without HF - 2m/400, yea, I can live without that on the road, but not HF.

<<But curious, what is a 60mph panic stop and how does that differ from a 20 mph sudden stop (which happens alot here during rush hour in NNJ)?>>

The difference is 40 mph. <g> Seriously, the inertia built up with the speed difference is significant.

<< I've never seen,, heard nor experienced a panic stop at 60 mph. I would imagine that at that speed, the distance travelled would be in excess of 150', allowing for brake fade, and some tire smoke, but not enough force to dislodge a rather hefty set of magnets.>>

I assure you you are wrong.  Standing on the brakes when some jerk cuts you off trying to make an exit across three lanes of traffic will dislodge just about anything. Do you realize how much inertia is contained in a 10 pound antenna?

<<For the magnets to break loose like suggested would assume a sudden stop in much less distance >>

You are right and panics stops at 60mpg can take much less distance under the right circumstances. There is already one comfirmed (NTSB report) fatality caused by a 1/4 wave 2m antenna coming loose and several unconfirmed reports

As for the rest, static pull is one thing; the breaking loose and sliding is another. To each his own. I'm not willing to take the risk.

Oh, BTW, your insurance is almost certain NOT to cover the damage cause by a mag-mount coming loose OR the theft of said antenna.

Good Luck,

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3ZQX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 06:34:48 AM »

Anyone with the outback have any tips for getting through the firewall.  Haven't had enough time to dig deep enough to see if it's not a problem, or a real pain to do.

Thanks all!

Hope everyone's efforts are going well.
N0WCJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 10:23:18 PM »

As far as getting through the firewall on an Outback is concerned...I'm not sure about the newer ones, but my wife has a 1998 Outback and it had a very nice through hole that was plugged with a rubber hole cover.  I just sliced a an "X" in the hole cover and ran the antenna wire and power lines through it.  Just if you're curious I set her up with a Yaesu FT-90, used the separation kit to mount the head on the ashtray (which actually looks good like that), mounted the main unit under the passenger seat. The antenna is a Diamond NR770HB (if I'm remembering correctly) on a Diamond K400 Heavy Duty Hatchback/Door/Trunk lid Mount.  I put the antenna on the hood drivers side near the back edge.  It works great.  I liked her setup so well I did the same on my '96 Dodge Ram pickup, after using a mag-mount for the last 10 years.

I've yet to notice ANY problems with airbag, ABS, or any other electrical device on the vehicle.  Most of what you hear and read from the manufacturer or dealer is mostly CYA (covering THEIR assets).

Good Luck! 73
N0WCJ
K1KHL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 06:10:47 AM »

Where on the firewall of your 1998 Outback was the through hole?  I have a 2006 Outback and don't see anything that may look like a covered through hole on the firewall
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: