The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaker  (Read 1411 times)
N5VSB

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2007, 10:36:29 AM »

I am looking for a good speaker for my truck.  The old one just isn’t clear enough.  The radio is a Yaesu 857, so it has some audio processing capacity.  I think I just need a slightly larger speaker.  Does anybody have any opinions on what they like best?  

Jimmy, N5VSB
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 01:38:10 PM »

Personally, I like Motorola commercial speakers. Pick them up at any hamfest for a few bucks or try the junbkbox at your local Motorola service facility.

Other than that, just about any of the 4" external speakers will be heads and shoulders above the internal speaker on any rig, mobile or fixed.

You are talking communications audio here, not Hi-Fi stereo.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »

I too like the moto speakers, but am also fond of bookshelf hi-fi speakers for ham rigs.  They will take all the power a ham rig can dish out without distorting and offer all the fidelity the radio is capable of.  Maybe more money than a moto speaker at a hamfest, but not any more difficult to mount in the same space.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 05:53:41 PM »

I often still use a decade old Radio Shack speaker designed for CB use.  During the late 80's - I used a small bookshelf speaker mounted face-up on the floor of the car behind the passenger seat.  It actually provided more than enough audio.

If i'm being really slick - I use one of those little FM transmitters which broadcast onto an unused FM commercial channel and use the car's audio system.  Sometimes this works well, other times it doesn't.  
N5RED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 10:11:02 AM »

My truck (a 1986 model) has a cutout and grill in the dash for a cheap AM radio.  Since I have a nicer FM stereo, there wasn't anything installed.  So, I went by a car audio store and picked up a 5x10 (really, not a 6x9) that fit the cutout.  It sounds wonderful and looks really good.
N5VSB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 11:00:12 AM »

Thanks folks,
The old external speaker has just a little bit of a “tinny” sound to it.  I am going to beg and borrow everything I can get hold of to see what works.

Jimmy N5VSB
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 04:19:03 PM »

I stopped by an HRO store several years ago and they let me take several speakers to my car in the parking lot to try them out. Actually one of the MFJ speakers had the best sound at that time.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N5VSB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 11:14:50 AM »

Just and update.  I tried everything I could find.  The best speakers were my home stereo speakers.  They are a little big to go in the truck.  I finally settled on an old 4 inch with paper cone.  It seamed to have the best noise suppression and strongest audio.  One day I will clean out the band and find something better.  Thanks for the help.

Jimmy N5VSB
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 01:08:45 PM »

Jimmy,

I use three Motorola HSN-1000 6-watt amplified speakers in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.  One on the 2M rig, one on the company radio and one on my scanner.  They are mounted up under the dash and totally out of site.  Doesn't matter which way they're facing because it's still more audio than you'll ever use.

I hook them up so they get 13.8VDC only with the radios.  These are fairly compact, loud, clear and readily available used on eBay or batlabs.com.  Or check your local commercial two-way shop for used ones.  

They often come out of school bus applications where they were used as public address speakers with the mobile radio so the driver can scream at the kids in the back over it.  

Of course, when I rode the bus, the driver had to park it and walk to the back to yell at me.  Now they can do it from the comfort of the driver's seat.

Terry, WØFM
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 02:27:01 PM »

Actually easier to find under current version number: HSN-1000B.
N4CDB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 12:24:12 PM »

I've got a mini speaker from Radio Shack that I use in my Tacoma. It's $26 and has worked very well for me. No complaints at all. The catalog # is 19-318.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: