The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RF in trunk from mount?  (Read 1215 times)
WA8FOZ

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2007, 08:09:57 PM »

A question:
I want to use a Breedlove ball mount on the cowl of my car (right rear quarter panel). I see that there is an exposed unshielded connection for the hot side of the coax. In this setting, this would be in the inside of the trunk. I'm using 100w on 80 - 10m. Should I be concerned about the possibility of "loose" RF and RFI?  Should I produce some sort of shielded box or something?

73, Bill WA8FOZ
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:22:41 PM »

No.  

Hook it up neat and no problem.  

KE3WD
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 06:09:55 AM »

I agree with Clark, with properly dressed connections in mind.

About the only time you really have to worry about RF inside the vehicle is when you run an auto-coupler/whip combination. The actual antenna starts at the connection to the coupler. Most of the time you're okay in low power applications, but running an amp with the combination is fraught with problems.

The only problem you're going to have (as I explained before), is the backing plate needs to be VERY sturdy. Jerry cuts the insulators from bar stock, which keeps the costs low. That said, the support needs to be larger in diameter, say 3 inches, like the old ballmounts used to be. Even then, the metal in the various panels nowadays are a far cry from what they used to be. Proper bracing will be a necessity.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 05:21:41 PM »

I once ran a 9' fiberglass whip mounted on the fender side of the trunk area of a Chevy Caprice with the cheap Alinco EDX-2 longwire autotuner mounted in the trunk.  

About 4" of 10AWG from the tuner output insulator to the internal whip connection, plus good grounding of tuner did fine.  

Believe it or not, that cheap HF installation was amazing enough.  Well, performed much better than I figured it should.  Couldn't resist after glomming onto the tuner for fifty bucks at a hamfest "As-is".  Opened it up and found that the connector to the circuit board had come apart.  And that was all that was "wrong" with it.  

KE3WD
WA8FOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »

Thanks everyone.

Bill WA8FOZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: