The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna install on/in 2007 Honda Civic  (Read 1552 times)
N5EAT

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:26:19 PM »

The only piece of this car that is metal appears to be near the moon roof assembly.  I purchased a very nice trunk lip mount, but with only a ham stick type antenna - I feared the plastic trunk lid would literally rip off at road speed.

Any options beside installing a hitch?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:35:04 AM »

That's odd. My wife's 2007 Civic 4 door, LX has a metal trunk lid.

In any case, you can use an angle bracket to mount the antenna on. I don't really like to do that, because the coax has to pass under or through the trunk seal, and sooner or later you'll have a problem with it.

If you want it dead solid, fashion a bracket and use the tie down hook (left rear frame area) bolts to attach it to the frame.

Of course, if it were mine, I'd use a good quality ballmount and drill the necessary holes.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »

Alan, mine is an SI and the trunk lid is indeed some form of manmade material.  I normally am not shy about drilling a hole for a mount - but I really don't see anyplace on the body that would accept a mount without a large brace of metal on the underside.

It's a great car otherwise...
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »

EAT:

I am not picking on you specifically, although you may think I am, but ...

I wonder why hams don't consider where and how to mount antennas and radios BEFORE they buy a particular vehicle?

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 01:44:06 AM »

Generally I do consider the antenna mounting problem when buying a car.  However - I did not get my Bondo magnet out...if I'd done that - I would have truly been shocked.  And...this is the only car that i've ever had that doesn't have a good mount spot.   I'd have probably purchased the car anyway because of the "sweet" engine and shifter......
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:25:47 AM »

You do have an option or two. Larsen makes an antenna made to mount on fiberglass, etc. The problem is, they only come in a monoband. The have a small 1/4 inch hole for the coax, and three small sheet-metal type screws holding them in place. I used a VHF version on my Merkur, and it did the job.

The one option you DON'T want to make is use a glass mount. They stink to start with, and the Civic uses passivated glass.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 07:05:27 AM »

<< I'd have probably purchased the car anyway because of the "sweet" engine and shifter......>>

It's all a matter of what your priorities are. <g>

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: