The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shopping for midsize pickup truck  (Read 1321 times)
VE7NGR

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:34:07 PM »

I am in the market for a new mid size pickup to replace my 98 Dodge Dakota (you can see what happened to it here: http://brianmury.smugmug.com/gallery/3160419). So far I have looked at the Dodge Dakota, the Chevy Colorado, and the Toyota Tacoma. I will likely be putting VHF/UHF and HF in it (as I had in the old truck). I'm looking for any experiences people have had with these models, or other similar models, as far as ham radio goes. RF noise, installation options, etc are all of interest. I'm looking at the 4WD extended cab (not crew cab) versions, in case it matters.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:14:43 PM »

I don't have any information for you, but it's refreshing to read of someone considering their radio needs BEFORE buying a vehicle!

Too many people buy something and then discover problems with installation, radio placement, antenna placement, all because they didn't THINK FIRST!

Good Luck on your quest.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 06:16:42 PM »

Wow, you are blessed, man.  

Whatever new truck you choose, try to remember that the shiny side faces up, k?  

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 06:18:46 PM »

hi brian,

glad everyone avoided serious injury.

the old Dodge held up fine,
why not another Dodge ?

73 james
VE7NGR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 01:06:31 AM »

KE4DRN: Yeah, the Dodge definitely proved its mettle. I very well may get another one - I'm just exploring my options. The Toyota's have better reliability ratings and higher resale values - but I really do like the Dodge trucks (especially now).

KE3WD: Gotcha. Keep the rubber side down.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 05:00:00 AM »

I can't complain about my Ridgeline either. There are a couple of things to consider, however.

The bed of the Toyota Tacoma (their small truck) is not steel. The whole bed sits down onto supports bolted to the frame. The quarter panels are bolted to the frame as well. It appear the bed is "snapped" to the panels with plastic keepers. The bottom line is, there will be very little mass under any antenna you mount in the bed. Their Tundra is all steel, and may or may not have a bed coating. Alternator size is 130 and 162 respectfully.

It is my understanding the new 2008 Dodge Dakota is made the same way as the Tacoma, so you might want to look closer, and ask questions.

If you buy another Dodge, pay the premium for the HD electrical system. Depending on the trim level, it may be included with the trailer hitch RPO. On the big truck (Ram), the standard alternator is 130 amp, and the optional one is 165. If you ever need that much I REALLY want to see your install!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 09:50:02 AM »

Y'know, James makes a very good point there, if the Dodge was doing a fine job with the radios, it certainly proved itself in the rollover for you.  

That would be two thumbs up for another Dodge.  

The first one would then be classified as empirical crash testing.  

N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 08:01:31 PM »

Looks like that firmly attached solid fiberglas cap paid for itself that day as well....

73 de Walt N2IK
WB9TBY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »

I have an 05 Dakota 4- door and LOVE it.  

I installed a IC 7000 remote head on a tri-pod that fits under the center console.  The radio and the auto tuner fit under the rear seat on the drivers side of the truck.  This is the BEST installation I have had in any truck .... and I have had several trucks and radio's.

The ONLY thing I will say bad about the Dakota is the location of the drink holders..... the right one is useless as it will only fit a "short" cup.

If you buy the Dakota send me an e-mail and I will send you some pictures of my installation.

Big Dodge FAN.
N7XRD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 06:30:58 PM »

Could you send me some pics of your install I have an 07 I'm trying to figure out how to do the install!!
mycall@arrl.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: