The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATAS 120 on ROOF RACK & Foldable, -Can it be d  (Read 6426 times)
DEANSANDERS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 12:06:30 PM »

Well thanks for the help

It looks like my vison is not really possilbe without drilling holes into the roof.

Can someone explain to me how ground straps work?

Thanks,
Dean
AB2M

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 09:18:31 PM »

I recently installed an ATAS-120 with a K400C mount on my Jeep Grand Cherokee.  In my installation, I too removed the paint under the k400's set screws and ran a ground strap - although I ran mine to a bolt on the chassis near the taillight that is hidden when the rear hatch is shut.

While this (like all mobile installations) isn't going to bust all the pileups, I've worked almost every continent and several states on SSB, RTTY, PSK31, and Pactor.   I've had more than one station tell me that they couldn't believe I was a mobile station.

I don't park in my garage - but I do have to go into parking garages periodically.  What I do is unscrew the ATAS from the k400 and place it in the cargo area of the Jeep.  

Just wanted to share my experience - I'm very happy with the FT-857D/ATAS-120 combo.

73, Joe AB2M
DEANSANDERS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 01:38:16 PM »

HI Joe AB2M :

Any way when you get a chance you could post some pics of this so that I can figure out how I will model yours.

Thanks
Dean
AB2M

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 03:06:27 PM »

Here's my install:

http://www.ab2m.net/misc/JeepInstall/

73, Joe AB2M
DEANSANDERS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 05:04:05 PM »

Thanks for posting the pics.

My initial goal of rack mountable and foldable if it could work would be the best because it would be lower profile  and you wouldn't have to worry about unscrewing it to get into a garage.

If anyone else has pics can you post too
I would appreciate it.
I am going to consult with an engineer specializing in Antennas to see what can be done on a roof rack.

but from all the posts here it doesnt look like i have any hope

Thanks,

Dean
VE3VBO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 08:28:48 PM »

Dean,

You asked people to post pictures of their installs, and I happened to do that on another board. Here is a link to some pictures of my install:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5559&postcount=36

Cheers
Victor
KB4JHU

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 10:00:13 AM »

Thanks for all your help in solving the antenna gremlin I had with my ATAS120 on 40 Meters on a Suburban rack mount.  I used a MFJ antenna analyzer to figure out what was happening.  The antenna at it lowest tuned point (indicated by the FT-857) showed on the antenna analyzer 103 ZOhms.  This indicated a good Ground however the "RF" ground resulted in high impendence on the ATAS120.  The article below was talking about "rack" mount antennas.  So I pulled off my rack mounts to find corrosion around the screws.  I also took a file and cleaned the roof rack mounts locations and installed "star washers" at each of the screw mounts (two mounts on each side, two screws per mount so 4 star washers per rail for a total of 8 for the complete rack mount).  I also had conductive paste I put around the screws and screw heads on the rack mount.

I also took a 1/2 inch flat braid from the antenna to the rack mount and then continued to the two set of screws on the rear antenna mount (about a 4" strap in length).  I also continued this strip down the rear mount to the "D" post just under the metal vent to bond all this to the car ground.  I also used another set of star washers so the top and bottom of the strap which bound by the screw, roof and rack mount.

Put is all back together this morning and made several contacts on Mid and South cars on 40M this morning.  Antenna is tuning between 46-56 ohms on the band.  FT-857 is putting out 90-100 watts on all tuned freqs.  

The lesson learned here -- even through I had a good body ground -- to RF it was to high of impendence.  Result was strange tuning on 40 Meters.  A close ground strap (4" or less) was required to be bonded to the car roof before the antenna impendence would be at a acceptable level for the antenna to tune correctly.  This was mounted through the roof using real metal screws.

V/R

-Michael

Michael D. Glennon KB4JHU / AFA2DQ
Amateur Radio Extra / USAF MARS
Web:  http://www.qsl.net/kf4aze  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: