The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grounding bracket for NMO mount?  (Read 1146 times)
VE7NGR

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »

Hello,

I am about to mount a bracket on my 2007 Dodge Dakota that provides an NMO mount. It bolts to the fender under the hood, and has a series of bends to get it out from under the hood.

You can see the bracket here: http://www.westcrystal.com/products/hardware/at11.htm

I will be using a large bolt and nut (through the large hole one the left side in the picture) to bolt it to a hole in the edge of the fender (under the hood).

My question: Will using star washers under the nut/bolt provide an adequate ground to the body, or should I strip the paint down to metal where the bracket will be?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 04:40:15 AM »

DO NOT scrape the paint! Under the paint is a layer of zinc. Zinc self heals imperfections so rust doesn't develop. All you need to do is use star washers, preferably the IO types, and screw the mount down tight. You don't even need any anti corrosive (NoOx, etc.).

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

VE7NGR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 08:37:33 AM »

Thanks Alan.

What is an IO type?

Also, where exactly do the star washers go? Obviously one will go between the nut and the fender. Do I put another between the bolt and the bracket? Or between the bracket and the fender? Both of those places? The bracket is not painted, BTW.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »

That's the one with teeth on the inside and outside of the washer.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: