The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larsen NMO 2/70 and Car Wash ?  (Read 4444 times)
KD0EIL

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »

So after much advice that I wouldn't be unhappy with the Larsen NMO 2/70 I purchased one (several actually) and mounted it on my SUV using an "L" bracket for the front hood groove (after significant vehicle bonding).

I took it through the car wash this weekend and left it in place as so many have said it would be fine.  It may well be fine, but I watched the thing go through and completely bend over and touch the hood of the vehicle.  In the end, it has a 15-20 degree bend in it.  FWIW, it was a typical car wash with the long cloth 'agitator' deals.  I'm sure I can straighten it out, but is there a tougher/firmer whip for my Larsen coil?

If not, is there another brand that will hold up to frequent car washes without the need for removal or straightening?

Thanks!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:57:28 PM »

Unscrew the antenna from the mount - takes 30 seconds. Put it back on when you finish. I take mine off every time - and it's in the middle of the roof.

There are no whips or antennas that will not be affected by that kind of car wash.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:39:56 PM »

There is such a thing as a 'rain cap' for the NMO series.  It'll keep the mount dry after you remove the antenna before entering the car wash.  I don't leave home without three of 'em.  Cheers!  Tom
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »

After seeing the damage caused by a car wash, why would you NOT remove the antenna?  You're lucky it didn't take the antenna *and* the mount with it.
W7JER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:00:19 PM »

How necessary is the rain cap? I have NMO trunk lip mounts on both my vehicles and haven't used caps.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:09:11 PM »

I've fixed enough vehicles in my 2-way career that were sucked right out of the panel, mount and all, that I'd never run a 5/8 or other long whip antenna through an automatic car wash.  2M quarter waves however do very well.  Given the minimal performance difference I always stick with quarter waves and never have to bother taking them off.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »

So... like... gee... you're going to blame the antenna for your forgetfulness?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N4WFB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 05:43:57 AM »

Years ago, I remember seeing a car that had its AM/FM antenna yanked out of the fender by the overhead car wash brush.  The antenna had proceeded to flail the topside of the car, even destroying the glass sunroof.

That made a lasting impression on me. I always unscrew my antennas before going through car washes.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:51:06 AM »

I think every car wash I have ever been in that used brushes had clear and well posted warnings reguarding
these things.

When you see license plates, fog lights, am/fm antennas, body trim, and mud flaps laying in the corners of the car wash, this SHOULD telling you something.

Wink
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:10:08 AM »

<< How necessary is the rain cap? I have NMO trunk lip mounts on both my vehicles and haven't used caps.>>

In your situation, there is no need for them. Water won't hurt the mount. As for hole-mounting in a roof or trunk deck, they are still unnecessary if the mount is properly installed in the first place - the mounts don't leak.

I use them if I remove the antennas while having the vehicle worked on to prevent physical damage. I never bother with them in a car wash.

The only other time I would use them is if I were removing the antennas for some period of time, again the prevent physical damage.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 08:05:35 PM »

I hand wash my car/truck. No problems with my antennas. Smiley
KD0EIL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:23:38 AM »

Looks like I'll just remove the antenna(s) prior to the car wash.  Thanks for all (well most) of the comments :-).

I'd love to wash the truck by hand, but that just won't happen from a free-time standpoint.

I didn't forget to remove the antenna(s) - I left them on intentionally at the insistence of many others who said it wouldn't be a problem.

I don't mind removing the antenna while filling up with fuel prior to the wash - but this vehcile is not primarily driven by me and I can't depend on those who do drive it to remove the antenna(s) which is why I was looking for something that would take the abuse - this is also why I intentionally left the antenna(s) in place and made a test run while watching.  Perhaps I just remove all the antennas and just put them on when I plan to drive the vehicle and avoid the whole problem.

I did purchase several NMO rain caps and have at least two in each of the vehicles with antennas.

Thanks again!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:56:19 AM »

<< I didn't forget to remove the antenna(s) - I left them on intentionally at the insistence of many others who said it wouldn't be a problem. >>

I don't remember anyone HERE saying they were car-wash survivable. Survive hitting tree limbs garage overheads and so forth, yes. Whirling brushes in a car wash, not likely. About the only whips that will survive  car wash brushes are 1/4 wave 2m whips - and your chances of their survival are about 50-50. Smiley

FWIW, a rain cap on a fender-mounted L-bracket is a waste of money unless you want it for physical protection of the mount with the antenna removed. Water won't hurt an exposed mount.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 08:24:55 AM »

I gave up on car washes several antennas ago. (no broken antennas just got sick of taking them off the care all the time and pulling them back on.) I just wash by hand. Then I can wash the antennas and get the crusty dead bugs that seem to impales themselves on the damned whips off with ease.
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 07:34:40 PM »

On my Larson NMO 2/70 I simply unscrew the whip and leave the coil behind on the car.  I have the open coil design - if I grasp the whip at the loading coil it is very easy to get enough torque to loosen and remove the whip.  Going this route ensures your NMO antenna gasket does it's job and make sure your mount doesn't get wet.

Dan / ab0re
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: