The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not more women in ham radio?  (Read 472154 times)
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »

Late to the game here, but what the heck.

I have no idea why there aren't more of us in ham radio. Women in my age group were learning to bake pies in home ec when the guys were taking electrical shop, I suppose. Still, if a woman has an interest in ham, she will find a way to make it happen. I'm a grandma and I'm studying for my General ticket.

Mostly, I just stay away from people who tell fart jokes and act like buttheads whether they have a call sign or not. They take up this thing called oxygen, and I need that for myself.

73 de KB3OUI

Ditto welcome Susan!  As strictly a CW and digi op except for the very occasional "88" I have no idea what gender is on the other end of the QSO.  Nor do I care.   Smiley
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2018, 05:41:41 AM »

This is societal and cultural question.  How many women do any of you know who have an interest in sitting on the air with a bunch of guys talking about what most guys talk about?  For that matter in face to face social gatherings, don't you find most men and women tend to separate into their own group corners.  What do you talk about with your buddies?  What do the gals talk about?  I bet you that the guys usually are talking about sports, outdoor activities, machines, war, other women.  The gals are talking about clothing, diets, where to get the best deal on cosmetics, other men. So you see, for a hobby dominated by men, there are few women who have an interest in wasting their time and effort in that space.  I can see if women are related to hams in their family, a spouse, etc. or some women are more interested in traditional manly interests than women's interests so maybe they might want to become hams.  Perhaps a women is after a man so she becomes a ham to find a one.  Based on what I see of the male ham radio community they may have more success at the senior center. It's not that women don't equal or surpass men in the math and science field because many do.  We're not comparing that when it comes to ham radio because plenty of men in ham radio are dolts when it comes to technical knowledge these days.  It's simply the social interaction and topics of discussion encountered on the air that most women could care less about. 

In our next installment on this topic we'll discuss the general lack of personal cleanliness by a surprisingly high percentage of hams.  Thus contributing to women making a conscious decision to avoid hams in the social context.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »

What is this personal cleanliness thing with hams going to hamfests?  I always take a shower before going to a hamfest or any public outing. And yes I am an old overweight white guy that usually wears a baseball cap at hamfests.  Although it doesn't have my name and callsign on it. So if most hams are going "dirty" to hamfests, why are they doing that?
TYLER

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2018, 06:46:56 PM »

My friend, who is a girl, if studying for her tech license. Smiley Her dad's call sign is, Kg5iay.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2018, 07:50:36 AM »

My friend, who is a girl, if studying for her tech license. Smiley Her dad's call sign is, Kg5iay.

Awesome, good luck to her.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2018, 10:48:38 AM »

The Truth is, they really Don't Like Men and have no interest in talking to them! Wink
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »

The Truth is, they really Don't Like Men and have no interest in talking to them! Wink
This should prove an interesting discussion...

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »

Can you blame them? Unfortunately there are a lot of overgrown boys that populate the male gender.
K5VC

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2018, 06:20:16 AM »

I understand the problem with woman and ham radios.  It is also related too the math and engineering fields.  I am fortunate that this coming school year (middle/jr high school) l will start a ham radio club on my campus.  My intent is to teach these kids the basics of Ham Radio and at the end of the school year have them take the Tech Exam and then continue the club until maybe the students take and pass the Extra farther down the road.  So far I have 18 students (all sixth graders going into 7th grade), 12 of which are female.  I have been asking the young female students why they are signing up and the majority  of them say they are interested in "how things work."  Only two of them responded that they like to play with radios. Hey, if their attitude right now is to "know how things work," let's work with that and keep their interest in electronics.  The first step IS to take a small step...I'll keep all of you updated during the coming school year...
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:04 AM »

What is this personal cleanliness thing with hams going to hamfests?  I always take a shower before going to a hamfest or any public outing. And yes I am an old overweight white guy that usually wears a baseball cap at hamfests.  Although it doesn't have my name and callsign on it. So if most hams are going "dirty" to hamfests, why are they doing that?

Some people use radio to compensate (tendency towards being a whacker). They're usually on repeaters, playing to an audience. Letting everyone know that they're the club Secretary, are also sure to mention a girlfriend (that no one has ever met, or heard).

I met the club Secretary, showed up in a stretched out white t-shirt, with various stains. Sat there scratching the flaking, peeling skin off his ankles.

I really couldn't bear to look at him.

Then of course he had to broadcast that we'd met for coffee. *Shudders*
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »

SOFAR  are you a ham ?

Bob
K6UJ
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »

SOFAR  are you a ham ?

Bob
K6UJ

Licensed, but not active.

Have a strong interest in radio. Don't understand the overweight, unhygienic aspects.
BG8VZ

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2018, 01:35:37 AM »

It's hard to discuss this topic .I tried so many times to encourage my wife to understand more about the HAM Radio.She even didn't care about it.She said that the amateur radio is meaningless and so boring .Then I tried so many times to let some girl in the university to learn the technology about the radio ,they felt so hard and time-wasted .In our place ,there were only about 3.5% female interested in the ham radio .But I haven't heard their voice on VHF for several years.From 2000 year,I only met 4 female HAM in our province , one of them is the player in 1950-1960 whole country's CW competition .
PBJOK

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »

If you're a "man" I don't blame them.
BURGERLOVER65

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »

Women are interested in activities that offer more power, control, or influence such as politics. Ham radio offers none of those possibilities. It is an introverted activity and hobby.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: