The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not more women in ham radio?  (Read 471889 times)
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »

Women are interested in activities that offer more power, control, or influence such as politics. Ham radio offers none of those possibilities. It is an introverted activity and hobby.

Women probably go to a few club meetings, find a dysfunctional atmosphere of impentrable introverted superiority and head out to a coffee place where people are friendly.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KK6RPX

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »

Women are interested in activities that offer more power, control, or influence such as politics. Ham radio offers none of those possibilities. It is an introverted activity and hobby.

How absurd. Firstly the comment as it pertains to women is ridiculous. Secondly, I just had 50 hams over to my place for a BBQ, hardly a group of introverts. There were at least 10-12 female operators there.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »

How absurd. Firstly the comment as it pertains to women is ridiculous. Secondly, I just had 50 hams over to my place for a BBQ, hardly a group of introverts. There were at least 10-12 female operators there.

Introverts socialize, some socialize better than extroverts. Introverts really have an inborn sense of superiority and tend to shut out extroverts.

N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2018, 01:39:20 PM »

Introverts really have an inborn sense of superiority and tend to shut out extroverts.

most of us are probably a conglomeration of introverted and extroverted tendencies, but that said :

i think a sense of superiority is an equal opportunity employer; what leads you to suggest introverts have an inborn sense of superiority Huh

dont introverts have a greater predisposition to be more self-critical than extroverts(?) 

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »

A study on the subject of introvert superiority  https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-16669/study-says-introverts-can-be-pretty-judgmental-at-work.html

I've been studying personality types for years now. If you look for the introvert cliques in your ham club or club of any kind you will find them. You will find that they shut out extroverts very overtly for the most part. You will find that they rise towards positions of authority and leadership due to the cliquey thingy... My gf is a wonderful person in her own right and the rarest of introvert females; INTJ. She does not deny that she self-assesses as superior! I'm an ENTP and will hang out with about anybody that's interesting. I have lunch with the very low income crowd that goes for free lunches at churches and senior centers and find people that I like and can converse with. My gf and I have been having a long-standing discussion about who we want to hang out with. We both agree that neither of us is going to change. She finally came around to the understanding that I associate with people to charge my soul's batteries and she associates with people that confirm her superiority. I have to admit that in a lot of ways she truly is superior but I'm starting to think that if one is sure they are superior they will act accordingly; it's self fulfilling. I'm learning the superiority thingy for myself from her actually. Getting past the idea that one has been deemed inferior for no reason for a lifetime takes a little adjustment but I just don't let introverts get that over on me anymore.

N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »

i am an INFJ

imo, each personality type has its strengths & weaknesses and to assess superiority or inferiority of one over the others would be too exclusive, limiting & myopic

you probably have seen this, but if not:
https://www.16personalities.com/entp-strengths-and-weaknesses
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2018, 06:26:30 AM »

Does it bother you, women don't tend towards this hobby? It's a hobby. Hobbies draw certain folks for certain reasons.
Don't know the reasons but I ain't gonna lose sleep over it.

Kraus
WD6GLA

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »

I agree with Kraus . Its a non issue . No one is holding women back from ham radio , people are free to pick and choose things that interest them and apparently many aren't interested . I wonder if there is a forum with women asking why more men aren't into crocheting and needle point ? 
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2018, 05:42:01 AM »

Take a look around atTV
your club members.  Why would a woman want to hang out there?
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »

There have been some very good thoughts exchanged in this thread.  Some controversial ideas have been espoused and that's OK.  Years ago (if one goes through some QSTs from the 50s and 60s) there was a section about YL hams that highlighted the achievements of female operators.  A number of these women had been radio telegraphers or radio technicians during WWII and therefore had rigorous training and experience.  Therefore they developed an interest in the amateur radio hobby because the men engaged in it tended to be technically astute and perhaps a 'good catch' for a woman seeking a professional mate. 

Remember when you look through those old QSTs how people dressed when they went to club meetings and the like.  Men dressed in suits and ties, the articles where quite technical, and although ham radio was a hobby and technically a 'service' (per the FCC) there appeared to be a certain level of pride among hams in those days.  With so many people swelling ham radio ranks today and the nature of 'buy off the shelf' equipment (less home brewing) we find ham radio declining into a niche consumer electronics market. 

The ARRL simply wants to homogenize ham radio into such a hobby primarily to gain more dues paying members and substantiate their advertising rates to the amateur equipment industry.  They are less concerned with some of the older, traditional aspects of the hobby.  With the simplification of the license testing process to gain larger ham populations the statement that amateur radio 'represents people from all walks of life' takes on a new meaning.  Gone are the days when higher minded professionals integrated into ham radio adding a greater degree of academic contribution to the hobby. 

Today, amateur radio is a much more pedestrian pursuit similar to the earliest CB adopters who were eventually eclipsed by less educated rap artist talkers.   Now I am not saying that ham radio operators are collectively dumb low class characters; I am positing that we are not as elevated as we think we are.

The opportunity for social elevation by interacting with today's amateur radio community is paltry.  Back in the day many young men joined amateur radio clubs to find elmers to assist them in their practical hands on pursuit towards the RF engineering field which was in it's heyday during the cold war.  Raytheon and other electronics giants placed ads in QST soliciting engineers and skilled technicians to join their ranks.  Try finding such ads today.

To get back to the question of why very few women become hams begs the question of what the average woman thinks she can get out of the hobby.  Let’s go through a list of just a few considerations that a woman might ponder in considering her participation in the hobby.  Imagining your criteria is from a woman’s point of view so I’ll let each of you review them yourself and come to your own conclusions (you may wish to add your own open ended input to add to these):

> Premise: Ham radio operators are educated professionals with high income potential and I would like to meet such men.
-   Do any of these amateur radio guys here at the hamfest have a clean shirt, don’t smell, or take care of themselves?
-   OK so I’m at the ham radio club as a guest; is there anyone here below the age of 50 and if they are how come they seem weird?

> Premise: Ham radio is an exciting hobby both professionally and socially.
-   How come these contact nets are so boring? 
-   Don’t these guys talk about things other than the weather, their lawn mower, how may ailments they are medicating for, etc? 
-   How come they don’t engage in intellectually stimulating discussions?
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2018, 09:53:25 AM »

Take a look around atTV
your club members.  Why would a woman want to hang out there?

Why would anyone? I joined a club, wanted to use the remote system they claimed they had, emailed the appropriate leaders repeatedly, got no replies. I had to CC the president of the club to get them to reply only to learn that the system was not working. Their website indicated it was "available to members". The guy in charge of it was long on talking about his published articles but wouldn't write me an email, right? Then I went to a few meetings; once I had the audacity to ask a question and I got yelled at! There were some nice people but there were just enough cranky people with negative small personalities to make me never want to go near that place, ever... They started upgrading the remote, I donated $50 towards that and that's fine, $20/year to use a remote station, worth it. All the rest of it; not worth it, the drive to the clubhouse is kind of long anyhow...

Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: