The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Goodness, This QRP Thing Actually Works!!  (Read 2014 times)
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2005, 04:51:52 AM »

Last night I arrived at our local radio club and fired up the HF rig, an Icom IC738 running barefoot into a three element beam on the roof about 15 metres high. The first thing I heard was GX0HCA finishing a QSO on 20m SSB so once it ended I tailgated and gave him a call. He reported that I was readable but the signal strength was a bit low and I was fading in and out of the noise.

We had our QSO but during our conversation I noticed that the SWR meter needles were not moving. Investigations found that the power control had been turned down to its lowest setting on the IC738, giving a power out of about two watts.

I now know the reason why I was fading in and out of the noise. A power level of about six hundred miles per watt!

HA5RXZ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 07:43:22 AM »

My best miles per watt was probably a 20M PSK31 QSO between Virginia and Siberia (with Q5 copy) running 750mW to a 3 ele yagi at 55 feet - and that's certainly no world record. QRP can do wonders when the conditions are right.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 08:15:54 AM »

I routinely run 10W or less on SSB and 5W or less on CW/digital.  One of my favorite CW rigs is a Mizuho P-7DX. 625mW out on 40m.  I don't tell anyone I'm QRP until after I get my signal report.  Running as little power as you did I have often been told that I have a "great signal" and I'm a solid 57 or 58 or 59.  Your results are not at all exceptional.

Yes, when the band conditions are at all decent QRP really does work.

Caity
K7VO
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 10:10:43 AM »

I got my first 1000 mile-per-watt contact on 6 m SSB.  I've worked all continents (including Antarctica) on HF SSB with 5 W or less.  I've worked all over the world using QRP PSK31.

If an HF band is open, then 5 W is all that's necessary for world-wide communication.  Full-legal power helps during crowded conditions such as contests, but it's more fun to bust a pile-up with a QRP rig.  And if the bands are closed, then the biggest QRO rig won't get through.
AE6WA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:34:02 PM »

QRP does work!
Announcing the birth of a new KX1. Yesterday was first operation on 20M and 40M (into dipoles from So California).
Three contacts were held JM7OLW (Japan) very first contact (20M) with a 419 report.
Second contact was NM3B (Central Pennsylvania), (20M with 449 report.
Third contact WB2ERJ (San Francisco) 40M with 559 report to his indoor dipole.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: