The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pump Noise on HF  (Read 5547 times)
N4FSU

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2003, 08:41:43 PM »

I have a 2000 Ford F150 with the 4.2L V-6 Engine and I get alot of noise on all HF bands while the engine is running. The reason I know its from the fuel pump is when I turn the key on before I start the engine the fuel pump runs for a split second I hear the noise on the HF rig during that split second too. I get an S-9 level of noise. A few years ago I had the same problem with another truck and was told ford made a part that fixes it. At that time I never got around to buying it because I ended up trading the truck in on a new one that didn't give me any trouble. Does anyone know what I can do to fix the problem (besides getting rid of the truck)?. I know the problem isn't isolated to my truck because I have a friend with the same model truck and he gets the noise too. I would appreciate any help.  Tnx  Mike N4FSU
N8IWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 12:35:59 PM »

Ask your friend with the same truck what he did to resolve the noise. Chances are it should also work on your truck.
N4FSU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 11:31:29 PM »

He never resolved the problem either..
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 11:39:48 AM »

I think Ford still has the fuel pump filter. The problem is that it goes inside the tank so you'll probably need to have the dealer install it.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 02:02:06 PM »

Ford has finally cured the fuel pump problem with a new pump and integral filter (2003 F150) For older ones they make a filter . I have one , if you want it just ask, I'll send it . It of course requires dropping the tank.
N4FSU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 02:43:58 PM »

AC2RC  If you want to send it to me please e-mail me at n4fsu@direcway.com and we can work out the details.. I appreciate it very much. I was traveling this weekend and got very annoyed when trying to work HF with all the noise..  TNX  Mike   N4FSU
N4FSU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 10:05:33 PM »

AC2RC  I received the filter you sent, yesterday. Actually it came the day before but I was not here to sign for it. I really appreciate it. Its hams like you that give our hobby a good name. I need you to send me your e-mail address again because I had a computer crash and lost your e-mail address. I'll let you know how the filter works when I install it...
  Thanks again..   Mike  N4FSU  
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 03:47:59 PM »

The Service Bulletin is 91-17-5 (or 91175)

You can find references to it on the web (use google to search for it)

Seems Ford knew about this for YEARS without fixing it...cars from 1984 until 2001 (and later?) are covered by various versions of this bulletin.

Mike N2MG
KL7EDK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2003, 02:27:00 PM »

Ford does make an RF filter to 'reduce' the interference level.  I had one installed on my Mazda (Ranger's brother) by the Ford dealer here.  It costs about $149 installed since they have to drop the fuel tank but it did reduce the noise from S9+ to S3.  The ARRL web site has a few files that will list the number of the tech bulletin that Ford has issued on the problem. Sorry I don't recall the number but the noise can be reduced.

73 Jerry
KG4VBR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 06:37:27 PM »

You can get the TSB for the fix on the net.My neighbor is a flat rate mechanic for a Ford dealer.I never had the noise problem but had the pump go out in my 99.He changed the pump for me and not by dropping the tank but by unbolting the bed jacking up 1 side to access the pump.30 minutes and he was done.The flat rate guys only get so much to fix something.If it takes longer it's on there time.Pretty neat trick!

Joe KG4VBR
W2DI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 09:01:02 AM »

Just my 2 cents. I had very bad fuel pump noise (all of hf) in a Chevy Tracker. I didn't go through the trouble of changing or fixing it, which would be the best way, but purchased a 'phasing' type noise reducer. One is the ANC-4 and another is made by MFJ. They work BEFORE the receiver and cancel the noise by sampling it and feeding it 180 out of phase to the receiver. It really worked great. I would have to readjust the unit when changing bands, but that was only a minor inconvenience. the noise would go from over S9 to nothing!
Anyhow, just another way to deal with an annoying problem.  Good luck - be careful. Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: