The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bug zappers  (Read 7010 times)
WD8DKB

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2003, 11:42:33 PM »

Hi folks. My father wants to install a bug zapper on our porch. It will be located within 30ft. of my hf antenna. To the best of my knowledge these contraptions use an electrical arc to zap the offending bugs. I have a dreadful feeling this thing is going to make operating H.F. next to impossible at times. Does anyone out there have experiance with these zappers? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading. 73s Max
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 07:51:51 PM »

It will be ok, it only makes noise when zapping and probably won't bother you at all.  If it does, try operation before they turn it on or after they turn it off.  It will probably not make any difference to you.
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 10:50:03 AM »

They're noisy, but intermittent.  The bigger the bug, the bigger the zap.  Mostly, when zapping mosquitos and midges, they just crackle.  Sometimes when they zap a moth there's a longer, louder zap (bigger arc). With everybody worried about West Nile Virus, I'm afraid we'd better get used to them. I haven't really found that my neighbors' bug zappers have interfered with my radio to the point where I can't use it for DX, but you can definitely tell when they're on.  I keep my own zapper off when I'm using the radio but I can control mine a lot easier than the one over the back fence.

I haven't tried ferrites on the power cord to minimize the amount of radiation, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had success trying this.  I rather suspect it won't work that well because the "zap" is coming from the high voltage side and is presumably isolated from the line voltage side.
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2003, 07:30:59 AM »

Thankyou for your input. This eases my mind for sure. Much appreciated as always. 73 Max  
K0XXX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 04:18:49 PM »

Just a thought, but... I believe a bug zapper attracts bugs so it would probably make more sense to install it away from the porch, not on it. That way bugs are drawn away from the porch and maybe it would be further from your antenna also. We've installed ours about 75 feet from the porch and it has made a noticable difference. Also, when a bug gets zapped, small pieces of the bug can be thrown 5 - 10 ft. Something to think about if you plan to be sitting on the porch with a cool drink while the bug zapper is on. ; ? )

73, Mark KØXXX
KC2FTN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 02:06:36 AM »

I only hear the 'zapping' on 6-meters. And mine is about 25 feet from the shack.
FORMER_WS4V_KS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 04:07:58 PM »

Probably won't affect your HF reception much but think of the entertainment value when the bands are down and the big moths are out! Sometimes you'll get a real big bug in there and wedge itself inside. The frying can go on for minutes! Guess it's the bug's version of an electric chair. I can see I've already admitted to having too much time on my hands so I'll leave now in disgrace....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2003, 04:14:50 PM »

I'll bet your not the only 'bug execution witness' on the bands!  I'll hang my head now too.
W4TME

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 12:00:10 PM »

These things are a farse.  They kill the bugs that eat the bugs that bite people.  So you get more biting flies and mosquitoes.  They attract more bugs into your yard and cause RFI.  I would not even consider putting one up except for the "entertainment value" of having a few cold ones and watching bugs die a horrible death. :-)

-Tim
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 02:56:20 AM »

Most of the older style bug "zappers" used what
amounts to an electric fence transformer to produce
the high voltage for the grids, And a UV "Black
light" to attract the bugs. Some used a doorknob
capacitor to make a pulsed DC for the grids.
As mentioned, They are supposed to attract the
bugs, So they should be placed AWAY from where
people are...... One would think that they would
produce terrible interference on radios, But they
do not.
Depending on the type of attractant bulb in them,
they may attract and kill as many "good" bugs as
bad bugs........
The newer bug killers use CO2  gas instead of light to
attract the bugs, And just use a fan to push the
bugs into a collection bag instead of "zapping"
them.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2003, 11:42:51 PM »

Great for checking how fast your AGC works on your radio. Besides, they are great for making nice little tasty treats when your at field day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: