The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition Noise on 1995 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L  (Read 2261 times)
BANARASI

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2005, 01:40:24 AM »

Greetings:

I have a Philips DC-777 SW receiver in this vehicle which has 157K miles.  Recently I changed the spark plugs and the set of spark plug wires.  The plugs were Bosch Platinum and they were not changed in the last 120K miles.  The new plugs were also Bosch Platinum.  The plug wires were original and I changed them just as a precautionary measure.

My radio was almost completely free of alternator whine and the ignition noise before this change.  It is still quiet on AM and FM but now has a lot of ignition noise on almost all SW bands.

I went back to the old Mopar wires (which came off the vehicle, seemed OK from outside, and had their resistances in the recommended ranges) which were replaced by the Bosch cables.  That has not helped at all so I suspect the spark plugs.  What spark plugs could I use now?  Anything else I could do now?

I have checked the engine compartment with an AM radio and it is full of ignition noise.  The noise comes from the antenna because when I disconnect the antenna, the ignition noise disappears almost entirely.  I have the factory service manual and it seems this vehicle does not have a distributor cap and rotor.

All help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Amit Singh
KA0GKT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 12:34:39 AM »

There are Bosch spark plugs of many different varieties.  Are you certain that you replaced the old plugs with EXACTLY the same model number spark plug or did you select a "Substitute" part number?

Your troubleshooting technique is sound.  If you didn't have ignition noise before the change and replaced only the plugs and the wires when the noise appeared, then placed the old wires back into service and the noise did not abate, chances are the problem is in the plugs...unless you damaged something when replacing the wires.

73 DE KA0GKT/7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: