The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI from JVC KS-RF100 CD Changer Control  (Read 3753 times)
ROYS29

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2005, 05:54:57 AM »

Greetings, I'm new to the forum.  I realize this is for ham, but I've read through many of the threads on this topic here, and the folks here seem very knowledgeable.  I'm trying to install an after-market CB (ok, don't hit me!) on a 1991 Honda Goldwing.  I'm picking up RFI from two sources, the electric fuel pump (I know how to eliminate that), and the remote CD changer control pad JVC KS-RF100. (Maybe the model number stands for "KisS it goodbye because we generate RF at a level of 100!")  The control is connected to a JVC CH-X1100 12-disc changer.  Although I'm only a lowly CBer, I'm sure others have run into this problem.  Any help/suggestions to reduce/eliminate the RFI from this control pad would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy
KA0GKT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 02:59:56 PM »

This may sound flip, but it isn't meant to be.  Loose the CD changer.  Often with consumer electronics, there is no easy way to get rid of its interference.

Now, if the CD changer were interfereing with a Licensed Service, the manufacturer might be enticed to create a fix, however since Class D CB no longer requires a license, I'm afraid you might just be up that creek without a paddle.

That said, Part 15 of the rules and regs states that it is the operator of the device causing the interference must cease operations.  In that case, as you are both interfering and being interfered wsith, it is your responsibility under the law to cease interfering with yourself...Okay THAT was meant to be a flippant comment...sorry.

Here's how totell just how bad your problem is.

1) disconnect the antenna from the CB.  Does the noise go away?  If so, the interference is coming in through the antenna.  Try changing the location of the antenna and the coaxial cable which connects the antenna to the radio.  If the noise goes away, good, if not, there's not too much else that you can do.

2) If the noise doesn't go away when you disconnect the antenna, chances are the noise is coming in through the power line.  Try connecting the CB directly to the automobile battery.  If the noise does not abate, get a coaxial filter capacitor from a CB dealer and insert it into the hot lead of the CB.

Without actually hearing the noise it is hard to come up with more than a general fix...however...

There is one answer, get a copy of the ARRL license manual and study.  The No-Code Tech license isn't that hard to get, and you will have access to the VHF bands, better coverage than the 11 Meter CB and far less "Garbage".

Good luck, whichever route you take.

DE KA0GKT/7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: