The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI FROM a new Frigidaire washer and dryer  (Read 2224 times)
VE1IDX

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2006, 04:31:50 PM »

Well a month or two ago we bought a new front loading washer and dryer.A day or two later the wife was doing laundry and I noticed that a noise at S-9+ kept cycling on and off every 12-15 seconds.I really tore up 160m-30m.While trying to figure out what had changed it struck me.The new washer rotated the drum clockwise 12-15 seconds clockwise and paused before rotating the other way etc.I turned the washer off but left it plugged in and the noise was gone.New rule here: No laundry from 9:00-10:00 am on Sunday mornings during the Maritime's AM Net on 80m.Tonight,after having spent the last week complaining about the high noise levels on 80 and 160m and having only one more night to stay up 'till God knows when before work starts again on Tuesday I had enough.I went searching with the AM radio and started flipping breakers in desparation.The dryer was the problem.Even though it was not running it still generates crap unless it is powered down completely.I just showed the wife which breaker to flip in case I forget after a little low band DX'ing.

Who would have thought,QRM'ed by a washer and dryer.
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 04:22:14 PM »

You are NOT alone; both the FCC and Industry Canada allow appliances (Industry Canada under some conditions) to be exempt from specific requirements regarding radio interference. ICES-003 exempts certain appliances from being tested to limits on ("technical requirements relative to the radiated and conducted radio noise emissions") radiated and conducted emmissions:
--------------------------
1. General
1.1 This Interference-Causing Equipment Standard sets out the technical requirements relative to the radiated and conducted radio noise emissions from digital apparatus.
[SNIP]
1.2.2 Sections 3 to 7 do not apply to digital apparatus used:
[SNIP]
(f) in machinery, apparatus or equipment:
(i) the primary function of which is to apply energy to a process or material through the action of an electric motor or a resistive heating element;
(ii) that draws a steady-state current that does not exceed:
(A) in the case of an electric motor, 20 A RMS;
(B) in the case of an electric heating element, used either alone or in conjunction with an electric motor, 50 A RMS;
(iii) that operates from an alternating current voltage supply that does not exceed 150 V RMS; or
(iv) where the machinery, apparatus or equipment is a portable tool and has an input power that does not exceed 2 kW.
Source: http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ices003e.pdf/$FILE/ices003e.pdf
-------------------------------------

However... if your dryer runs off *220 Volts*, it would appear the exemption might not apply!

I believe Industry Canada, like the FCC, does not  actually exempt appliances from the requirement they not create harmful interference, but merely exempts appliances from the need to meet established limits which other digital equipment must.

Cortland
KA5S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: