The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interference through everything while on 6 meters.  (Read 3216 times)
K2AWA

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2005, 06:08:23 PM »

Okay...this is all new to me, but while transmitting on 6 meters, I mess up the TV, come through the stereo and interfere with the computer. I also have a 5 foot talking snowman that even when off, I can be heard. The computer and TV are hooked to cable.

My equipment consists of a Kenwood TS-570S, 50' of LMR400 cable to a horizontal wire dipole located on the roof about 30 feet above. The radio is located in the basement with a short ground wire from the radio to a 6' ground rod about 12 feet away outside. I have no problems with my 2 meter rig into a GP-3 antenna located near the dipole. The match on the dipole is about a 1.5/1.

What is my next step and what should I be looking for. I would like to keep peace with the wife and not have to power everything down when using the radio. Please don't suggest I get rid of the wife...too expensive! Your help and ideas are appreciated. Thanks.  Glenn  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 08:16:02 PM »

I can't imagine why you'd use 50' of LMR400 to feed a six meter dipole...

But anyway, you might try removing the earth ground and see if that helps.  It often does.  

There's absolutely no reason at all that 6m should interfere with things any more than any other band does.  This is *not* a typical interference-creating band -- or at least it hasn't been since the mid 1960s or so.

I run 1500W PEP on 6m all the time with zero interference to anything in our home, or any neighbors' homes.  I have much more "RFI" problems from bands like 80m and 160m which are more likely to couple into telephone lines.

WB2WIK/6
K2AWA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 06:56:18 AM »

What's the matter with LMR400? It is cable that was already in place from a UHF system that I had.

I had the problem before running the ground. Then I connected the ground but no change. I think I'll look into a TVI filter. Still lookiing for other thoughts though....
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 08:37:40 AM »

Glenn,

If you are not using a balun, try a current balun at the antenna feed point. 10 carefully wound, 6" turns of 50 ohm coax. 1.5-1 returning on hardline can cause a lot of problems. Good luck, catch you on 6.

de Lindy
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 12:39:10 PM »

The balun is a good idea. You may have some RF coming back down on the outside of the coax shield and getting into the house wiring.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K2AWA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 12:57:50 PM »

I would like to try the balun for this antenna. Since I'm learning as I go...is the balun going to be the actual antenna coax wound in a coil at the coax connector or is it an additional coil of coax placed around the antenna coax? Again, thanks....  
K2AWA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 02:11:10 PM »

While we're on the subject of baluns. I've found in my box of junk what I beleive to be a balun from an old hygain 3 element CB beam. When I place a multi meter on either the inside or outside of the so-239 connector and touch either side connectors I get a reading showing no difference between either the center lead or the outer shield. Is this correct?

WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 06:42:17 AM »

Glenn,

I would just use the current balun; I would be concerned with the power handling ability with the Hygain balun unless you know that it can handle whatever power you are using. I have several current baluns that I have put together over the years. I have one that is 75 ohm coax for testing at times, and prefer to have them separate with connecters to use over again. I roll them inside of a 6” PVC form with end caps drilled and sealed for the connectors.  Good Luck!

73, de Lindy
K6IHC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 11:58:05 PM »

I found that when I changed my 6m antenna from a homebrew horizontal 1/2 wv dipole to a 3-element Yagi, the RF in the house decreased greatly.  At the higher power levels, I can still push some signal through our main TV's audio stage, but only when the TV's on.

I need to work on solving that.

The shielding on most modern consumer electronics (TV, CD/stereo, computer speakers, etc) seems to be really poor.
AA4ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 02:58:59 PM »

Can you move your antenna further away from the house? Signal strength falls rapidly with increased distance.
KG6QKJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »

I had the same type of problem.  I did what Glen, WW5AA, suggested.

I made the 10 loops in the coaxial cable at the antenna feedpoint and it stopped.  Some people call these "decoupling loops".

Hey, I have a 1000 ft roll of LMR-400, so I also use it on 6 meters.  What is wrong with that?

Marty
KG6QKJ
KG6QKJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 10:26:50 PM »

You make the loops in the coax that feeds the antenna.  You make about ten loops and tie them together with those nylon wire ties then just tie it to the mast just under the feed point of the antenna.

Do not wrap a piece of coaxial cable around the existing coax cable.

Sorry for the mix up on the names, Glenn and Lindy.

Marty
KG6QKJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: