The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: INSTEON Home Automation  (Read 2051 times)
N2DY

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2006, 08:30:28 AM »

I am currently in the middle of a fairly massive renovation to my house. My electrician is recommending that I install dimmers and other devices sold under the name INSTEON. The devices use a dual band packet system to communicate with each other over house wiring on around 136 KHz and through the airwaves on the 900 MHZ band. It is an extremely low power system. The idea is that you can control everything from a central point or computer. You can set different times of the day for lights or other devices to turn on and off, etc. Note that this is a newer system and is supposedly more sophisticated than X-10 devices.

On the face of it, the system does not look as though it should generate a great deal of interference to my amateur equpment. If these devices are made properly, I should not cause RF problems for them. I plan to have the electrician install a couple to test them out before committing to a larger system. I do love gadgets!

The bottom line is that I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the INSTEON product in a high RF environment. Thanks in advance for any info.

73 Don N2DY
WA1RNE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 01:24:03 PM »

Check out Smarthome's discussion forums. One in particular has a couple of inquiries regarding interference, but seems like just a few isolated problems.

I would call them and ask them about the details of their warranty with regard to RFI and if they've had any experience with amateur interference issues.

http://www.techmall.com/search.asp?mode=DoIt

73, Chris
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 03:58:47 PM »

Interference goes both ways. Also check to see how susceptible that equipment is to RF from amateur radio emissions. The last thing you want to happen is to key up and lights turn on/off, garage door opens, etc.

Mike
AI4NS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: