The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found the noise on 6 meters!  (Read 2141 times)
VE1IO

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:10:45 AM »

I was getting a noise on 6 meters (50.125)that sounded like a chopper flying over.  I made the kids turn off all of the computer stuff that they had.  The pumps for their fish tanks.  Noise was still there!  Turned off the kids lava lamp.  Still there!

Started walking around the house.  Can't be the phone.  No TV's on.  I went into the living room and there was my wife's old Pentium 90 laptop and it was plugged in but powered off.  I figured maybe it was the AC adapter for the critter.

Sure enough it was the laptop AC adapter!  Guess the adapter is toast.  I was so happy to find out that it was that.

I was so glad to fix that in a hurry.  6 meters was hopping last night.
WB1AEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 12:03:34 PM »

Thanks for posting this. Always good to add sources like that to the list of noisy things that plague 6 meters. I finally found the source of my noise polluter on 6 meters. It turns out that my D-Link 704P router is quite the noisy little squawk box on 6 meters. It is only evident on my 6 meter HT when using it within 30 feet of the router, but it is annoying... Fortunately my tower is 100 feet away!

Rob WB1AEX
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »

I am glad you zero'ed in on the problem; finding RFI can sure be a challenge. You said you eliminated the TV because it was off. Obviously in this case it wasn't the TV but for the benefit of others.....  If the TV has a remote control it is NOT off; if it doesn't have one it's only a slight chance it is really off.  In order to save a penny or so on each set they only cut the HV to the CRT...the power supply (usually a cheap 'switcher') is always on.      
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: