The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethernet interference problem solved  (Read 2545 times)
K8AC

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2006, 04:57:28 PM »

After a major rearrangement of the station gear recently, I noticed some weak carriers in the 20 meter SSB band and traced them to the ethernet cables between my DSL modem, Linksys wireless router, and the PC.  I tried chokes on the ethernet cables with no success.  Today I replaced the CAT 5 cables with CAT 6 (shielded) and that has solved the problem.  If you suspect you have interference from your ethernet cables, simply unplugging one end will tell you if that's the culprit or not.  In my case, the carriers were about S2 and were pretty stable.  
KG2V

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:16:07 PM »

about 6 months ago, I tried shielded Cat-5e.  Did NOT work for me.  I tried split ferrites - no good

Want to know what worked?  I got a bunch of type 43 ferrite cores - .5" hole (or so - maybe .625), and about .75 long ($1 each at the Sussex hamfest).  I had to cut the end of the cables, but, I put one on EACH end, with 4 passes through the middle.  Put the new end on.  Almost NO LAN noise - and in fact, the LAN noise I hear is actually from a neighbor (I can turn all my gear off - no change)

I DID discover that the choke on the router end made almost NO difference - guess the router was fairly clean - the PC end on the other hand...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: