The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chainsaw or motorcycle stuck in the mud?  (Read 2121 times)
W4CPT

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2006, 07:53:32 PM »

Ok, on 80 and 40 meters mostly, it sounds like some kid on a small motorcycle with one cylinder stuck in the mud and racing the motor trying to get unstuck, or maybe a guy with chainsaw with a dull chain trying to saw a log. Laugh if you like but while we continue to see leaps and bounds in electronics, we haven't expanded much in meaningful articulate RFI interference language. Does this sound like 60HZ high voltage interference? The long wire antenna is fairly close to a high voltage line. It is not the computer and I was wondering if anyone had a good starting place before I head out looking?
Thanks
P.S. I put chainsaw in the search block and nothing came back. I didn't try motorcycle.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 07:23:12 PM »

You might want to add a sound file here:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/rfi-noise/

and maybe listen to some of the other files to try to ID.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 01:26:45 PM »

Sounds like the characteristics of an electric drill if you ask me.. Smiley
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:04:09 PM »

I feel your pain. I have 3 towers ready to put up. I live in a semi-rural area. I am the last customer on our power line. However, across the street, about 200 yds away, is a VERY nasty pole. It was serviced last year by Florida Power and Light and it was OK until a recent nearby lightning hit.
All I have in the air is a "fan" dipole for 20-10M. Using a tuner, I can load it up FB on 6 Meters. However, most of the time, the noise on 6, is S-8 and the display on my 756PRO looks like the teeth of a comb.....14 MHz is less bothersome, but it still irks me!
FP&L is sending out a Tech tomorrow and he remembers the pole from last year. He has sniffers, etc, so hopefully (!!!) they will be able to fix it. I have been through this crap at every QTH I've had, except for one. All underground utilities, top of a hill. Gee, too bad the neighbors sued me for putting up a tower. They lost, but I lost my "dream home/shack" in the process.

oh well, time for another 807...

ron

N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: