The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TENTEC JUPITER QUESTION  (Read 8774 times)
N3JBH

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2005, 08:41:51 AM »

Ok before I start with my question here I will admit the Jupiter may not be a total sdr radio. But I believe it close enough for this. I noticed tentec has opened the source code to the public. So whit that being said is there a way to add more transmit filter bandwidths? Reason I ask this is there are folks into that new hifi ssb mode. And the jupe does go to 3.9 kHz at the maximum on ssb. But why couldn't it go wider? As I believe the filtering is all done via software right? Any one have any ideas here?
N9DG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 09:03:55 PM »

The Jupiter and other DSP/IF firmware based Ten Tec radios do generally qualify as "SDR" for most of the definitions you see for "Software Defined Radio". In the end however I wouldn't get too wrapped in the minutia of trying to determine if radios like the Jupiter exactly fit some definition of SDR or not.

The source code that Ten Tec has released is for the control of the radio; it is not the ADSP2181 DSP code itself. So any work that you can do for the radio is confined external control programs, it will not be for the radio's firmware. Since the filtering is all defined in the DSP firmware there isn't any means as a third party to change its behavior either.

Theoretically I think it should be possible to provide wider filter widths to about 8-10 kHz in the firmware if Ten Tec ever chooses to do so. The roofing filter bandwidth and ADC sampling rates of the Pegasus/Jupiter/516 series radios should all be able to accommodate such a change. I also think it should be possible to provide tighter shape factors for the existing filters widths. I am convinced however that any such enhancements to the filter shape factor performance would come at a trade off cost of added latency. That latency would likely preclude full QSK CW operation. I for one would like to have the option of trading away full QSK for better shape factors. It wouldn't be unreasonable to have the radio accommodate both the current configuration as well as enhanced filtering, after all they need not be mutually exclusive.

In the end if you are really into such kind of software experimentation then a much better place to start is with something like the Flex Radio SDR-1000. While Ten Tec is indeed more innovative in terms of using the SDR design approach than the so called 'big three' they haven't really grasped; or have otherwise tried to capitalize on the inevitable shift in ham radio equipment design to being a truly open ended SDR. The SDR-1000 however is, it is also the most plug and play radio that fits this description out there that is available today.
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 12:24:52 PM »

Yeah i got an idea. If we want to splatter all up and down the band why don't we go to eleven meters. There they all sound like so many of us are trying to. I run my jupiter just like i do all the rest of my rigs here in the shack, 2.5-2.7 is just great on the tx bandwidth. I don't solicit audio reports but get them anyway and they're all great. To hear those wide responses we'd all have to have our receivers cranked out extremely wide. What ya gonna do with all the other fine folks up and down the band that are strong and close when anyone tries to crank out their receivers to hear all this bull crap? Its just a mess, period. I honestly can't believe what i'm hearing now on phone either. Now it seems they want to add echo to the signal, now thats really right straight off eleven meters. Typicial of a trucker out on the interstate with audio cranked all the way to the right and when he speaks he echo's for thirty seconds. We're devolving for some reason instead of advancing the hobby. A behringer 602a with any mic into it sounds fabulous. Oh they'll tell you that you must have a four hundred buck mic and a fancy eq and all that. Myself, an old electro voice 664 into the little behringer 602a does the trick. I've busted pileups and had the dx station pause to ask me what i was using for my audio. The bottom line i'm getting at is we can all sound just great but we don't have to get on each others nerves while doing it. We also don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on audio gear to make it sound that way either. I bought "two" ev664's that were like new in their boxes off ebay last year. 65.00 bucks for both, the behringer 602a is on sell now through the holidays for 39.00 at zzounds.com. I hate to come across so strong but its ridiculous when you're in qso on any band on phone, you start getting splatter from hell and go up or down the band sometimes almost ten kc's and its some dumbass with his tx filter cranked out to the max and so much bass in his audio and echo he sounds like a dumbass cber. My two cents: John WR8D
RADIOBOB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 02:15:27 PM »

Why on earth do you need/want, to go wider than 3.9 kc on xmit Huh

Do you really think, or are egotistical enough to think that your dulcet tones that you utter, are wonderful enough to be broadcast quality??

If you want to become a broadcaster, then get a FCC commercial lic, and set up your very own FM/AM/TV station.

Hello, this is amateur radio.  It’s supposed to be and should be, communication quality.  Now that does not mean crappy.  There are literally thousands, and thousands of stations that are wonderful to listen to, with stock rigs.  Most of the very newest rigs have a wonderful set of flexibility in their xmit audio quality.  Just pick a good mic and set your rig up correctly.  Anyone can sound good, with out having to annoy people up and down the band.

The Jupiter can sound excellent just as it comes from the factory.

An by the way,  if the majority of stations listing to you only have  2.2 – 2.9 kc filters on rec, then how can they appreciate you 10 kc wide signal.

It’s just amazing what a bunch of cow terds all this HI-FI SSB stuff is.  A small group of people going around with a Walter Mitty complex, setting there shack up to look like the control room of some big time talk radio station, seeing the reflection of Larry King gleaming back at them from all their chrome boom mics.

Here I’ll tell you all what you can do.  Go buy a Kenwood TS-850S ( and also maybe the 950 series of Kenwoods ).  Now you can go in and set them up to run double side band, 6 kc wide.  Now add an EQ unit.  Bring up the low end, and there you have it.

For all you HI-FI SSB folks, you know what your signal is like.  It’s like the sound of one of these pea brains that put a 2000 kw sound system in a Honda, with 20 speakers.  You all know the sound when they pull up next to you, or go down the road.  How many of you guys like it.  Well to the stations off to the side of your wonderful HI-FI SSB, that’s what it sounds like.

You HI-FI SSB signals are now more related to HI-FI, or FM/TV quality, than the sound of finger nails across a black board.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 04:39:30 PM »

Guys hold on here i never said i had to i simply was asking a question why it couldnt be done? it is just a question i asked. is all geeees i did not say i wanted to do it. it is a software questions is all
RADIOBOB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 05:25:54 AM »

Why ask such a specific question, unless you are thinking of possible trying it ??

The Xmit pass bands on the Jupiter are just fine.  Out of all the possible programming lines in the Jupiter, the Xmit pass band is the least that needs attention.
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 03:16:34 PM »

This is what is so annoying about Eham, A guy asks a simple qustion and it always turns into a bashing!!!!      

Unreal!!!!

I could see that one coming when I read the post....
      If I read correctly, the gentleman asked for information from those who might know what they are talking about instead of a flaming of opinions.

Am I correct?

If we are going to add opinions here, I wil add that Ham Radio is supposed to be very much experimental in it's nature so I don't have aproblem with any guys running ESSB. I do feel that going the whole way out to 5-6K+ is excessive as I have heard some extremely good audio from 3-4K bandwidth stations. As far as the "echo" goes, I was laughing about that comment. To each their own I guess. I'll pass on the 11 meter big rigger sound personally.

Take care & 73,

DE--KB3MMX--Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: