The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding  (Read 2678 times)
KG6KEC

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2005, 09:09:52 AM »

I am building my shack in a spare bedroom.
The grounding rod is approx.15 feet from the equipment due to a deck.
I am going to run the cooper wire thru a wall or thru the floor out to the grounding rod.
My question is, do I need to insulate the wire from the touching the wall or floor if so, how and what do I need.

73's
kg6kec
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 02:52:18 PM »

With all due respect ...

There are well over a hundred threads on this subject already on eHam. Do a search in this forum and the Elmers forum and you'll have all the answers you need on the subject of shack grounding.

And no, you don't have to insulate the ground wire where it goes through the wall.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 02:52:18 PM »

Oh, boy. You are probally going to get a pounding about asking a question like this in here. Grounding comes up alot, so I'll let the others have at it instead. But, I will answer you this. Unless if your ground wire is a solid conductor (if it were me I'd use #8AWG), shouldn't be a problem to go thru the wall. However, the chicken wire that is imbeaded in the stucko (if this is the case) you would want to use insulated wire, or sleeve it thru the wall in conduit.

If you run your ground wire out of the shack, try to keep the wire run as short as possible.

N1OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 12:22:23 PM »

No.
KG6KEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 03:21:07 PM »

Thank you gentleman for your advise and guidance on where to look here on eHam.
Next time I'll don my Second Chance Vest.

73's
k6fsp/kg6kec
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 11:27:27 AM »

You might want to try another brand.

Second Chance is being sued by several federal agencies including the DoJ and the Secret Service as well as a couple of dozen police departments for knowingly selling vests with defective bullet-resistant material.

They WILL stop a sharp stick, though. <g>

Seriously, no one was shooting at you; grounding questions are the number one question on eHam and 15 minutes of looking around and reading will answer virtually every question you have. No real need to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, when there are wheels laying around for the asking. Smiley

BIRDMAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 12:35:57 PM »

Obviously the search facility / bar is not readily apparent to many users of this web site.  Maybe this can be redesigned to reduce multiple postings on topics.

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »

What is the reason for the grounding?
For  safety, The 3rd prong on modern day house wiring is all that is needed.
For RF, A properly designed HF antenna should not need a ground.
For lightning, A single little wire running a long distance will be totally inadequate. A lightning ground is a "single point" ground, Best located right where the coax enters the building, Where the lightning arrestors would be, Then nice flat copper strap out to the ground system, A number of ground rods spaced twice the distance apart as the depth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: