The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transceiver comparisons  (Read 2394 times)
KI4DTB

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2005, 10:29:02 AM »

An planning on upgrading to a better transceiver than my FT-890.  I operate mostly ssb and rcvr sensitivity and reduction of band noise are important.  Am limited price wise to about a max of $900 used.  So far the choice seems to come down to either the Jupiter or the FT-920, but would welcome other suggestions.  Since I have not had the opportunity to listen to either of the above, I would welcome any owner comparisons/comments.  Would particularly appreciate knowing how well the noise reduction works on the Jupiter and the FT-920.  Thanks and 73.  Doug  KI4DTB  
VE3IOS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:02:33 AM »

I do  alot of 75 meter DX. As you probably know the noise is very bad as is the QRM from adjecent stations. The Jupiter will NOT work under these conditions I tried it.
Here is two web pages with some receiver tests done
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
http://www.w8ji.com/receiver_tests.htm
KI4DTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 07:56:59 AM »

Thank you Northern neighbor.  Several other reviewers have said similar things about the jupe.  Am not sure how it might function with good crystal filters added.  Thanks and 73.  Doug
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 01:48:29 PM »

Doug, you have a lot of options.  The Yaesu FT-990 is a great buy.  I would also consider the Knwd TS-850.  I had a 920 and loved it.  The audio "DSP" was wonderful.  There weren't enough filter options for my taste with the 920, but I'd love to have another one.  There are some great buys out there, you just have to do your homework.  Good luck!
KI4DTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 06:39:46 AM »

Thanks.  This really helps.  I'm looking.  Doug
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 07:38:53 AM »

Doug
You can get a new Kenwood TS570 for that price and It is a extent radio. I do not believe you can tell the difference  between most radios. Yeasu and Icom  also makes a good radio in the same  $900.00 price range. That way you can enjoy the thrill of a brand new radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: