The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC 718 Comparable Rig  (Read 2649 times)
KD4SBR

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2005, 10:58:20 AM »

Hi folks, I'm considering on purchasing the IC 718. Could someone tell me of other rigs that are similiar in features and price?

Also, should I purchase the power supply and antenna tuner from the manufacturer of the rig (ie., Icom, Kenwood) or purshase from other sellers like MFJ and Astron?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Roldan/KD4SBR
KC0VQP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 08:58:03 PM »

I just bought an IC-718. It's a nice rig for the price.

(I was gonna buy the Icom R-75 receiver... get back into SWL... then slowly learn the code and test stuff. Someone suggested that I skip the R-75 and get the IC-718. Which is actually less expensive.)

I bought an ASTRON 35amp power supply. Model RS-35A...  It's HEAVY duty and will last a long time. $150.00

(Isn't the ICOM about $300.00 and it's only 25amps?)

I bought an MFG antenna tuner. MFJ 949E. $130.00 from HRO.

(I thought about the ICOM auto tuner... the non-longwire one.. but it was almost $400.00. I think I can tune it myself after changing a band... for the $300.00 saving.)

Save the money... get some other gear.
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:18:27 PM »

Yaesu FT840. Alinco DX77T. Advantages of these rigs are that they have basic feature set, so easier to learn and use. Disadvantage is that they lack the other features which make QRM fighting easier or facilitate some aspect of CW, Digital modes, contesting or whatever. I have used a 718 and it is a good basic radio. I have no experience with the Yaesu or Alinco. You get a new radio with a warranty for the price of used radios. Many hams have used radios for years with features like the three you mention and do not outgrow them. IF you do, it makes a great field day or back-up rig.

73 de Walt N2IK
WA9FZB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 01:54:17 PM »

Although I've been licensed over 40 years, I recently got back into ham radio -- and bought a new rig to do it.  I bought the Yaesu FT-840 and an inexpensive Samlex SEC-1223 power supply (check eHam reviews. . . ).  This was a great combination of an easy-to-use rig having a full but basic feature set and an "invisible" power supply that was fully adequate but inexpensive.  I wouldn't spend the extra money to buy the manufacturer's power supply.  Once you decide on an after-market brand, decide how you want to use it (one small 100 watt rig, or lots of junk, etc.) and then check the eHam reviews to see what others have felt about them.

P.S. After a short time I sold the 840 and got the FT-847 -- wanted the better filters that the 840 could use, the DSP, and the VHF/UHF coverage.  I, too, should have thought more carefully up front.

Good luck.  I doubt that you'd go wrong with any of the rigs you're looking at.

Steve  WA9FZB
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 07:40:15 AM »

ive had a 718 for 3yrs,and the astron rs30 with mfj 969 tuner,and worked everywhere.cant go wrong with the 718. yes there are radios in the same price range,but the 718 has many more features then the 840 yaesu.hard to beat.and if you ever want to upgrade to a 746,756 etc . lots of stuff will interchange. good luck.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 01:22:17 PM »

If you can afford a bit more you can get a radio with substantially better ability to eliminate interference from contacts on adjacent frequencies, interference, and noise.  Nothing wrong with the IC-718 but it completely lacks in features and capabilities in this one important area.  

The Icom IC-703+ is not that much more expensive.  It is only a 10W radio (that means 10dB down, or about two S-units less than a 100W radio), but it has an excellent receiver, a built-in auto-tuner, and you can get by with a very small power supply or battery opration for portable use.  I have an IC-703 and I really do like it. With an optional filter added it has enough interference fighting capability to be a bit more useful.  If you can't hear them you can't work them.

The best radio for under $1,000 in my opinion is the Ten Tec Argonaut V.  The IF DSP provides fantastic filtering at no additional cost and those adjacent interfering signals just drop away, particularly when used in combination with passband tuning (PBT).  There are things an IC-718 simply lacks.  The receiver is outstanding in every respect.  The difference between 25W and 100W is very small.  The digital noise blanker is effective as well.  

BTW, a tuner is unnecessary if you have resonant antennas.  A power supply need not come from the same manufacturer as your radio.  Since I'm using lower power radios an Astron SS-10, a tiny, lightweight switching power supply, can run everything I have.  The Samlex product which has already been recommended is also very good.

Caity
K7VO/9
KD4SBR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 06:16:34 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, information and advise.
I found them very helpful.

73s Ed Roldan/KD4SBR
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 01:59:57 PM »

When I came back to active hamming several years ago, I purchased a Yaesu FT-80C which was just like the FT-747GX (it had all of the upgrades).  Very few features, but it was easy and fun to use.  I graduated to an FT920 and have exchanged backup radios a few times since then.  If you would consider used, that radio isn't bad for the money.

My 2 cents.

73, JP, K8AG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: