The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best vertical 6m thru 20m or 40m  (Read 2595 times)
KE7FHL

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2006, 08:12:02 PM »

Which is the best vertical antenna available that will cover 6meter thru 20 or 40meters?
  I will be mounting on unistrut on the eaves of my house.
  thanks!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:36:25 AM »

6~20m = SteppIR vertical
6~40m = SteppIR "BigIR" vertical

They both need a good radial system; but they are lossless, 100% efficient, "full sized" verticals for every band and all frequencies in between those bands.  They're also a cool green color.

WB2WIK/6
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 09:01:43 AM »

Add a second vote for the SteppIR. If I could get away with putting one up I'd have one <g>.

HA5RXZ
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 03:05:24 AM »

SteppIR good, BIG SteppIR REALLY GOOD!

#1 rule of antennas is, well built and full-size. SteppIR does that.
AH6FC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 12:32:16 PM »

Agree with the SteppIR.  I have the BigIR with 120 radials; though not certain it works better than it did with 8.  It's not a monoband yagi but not bad.  I've worked about 150 countries, WAS, etc in the past 2 years.  Sometimes with a KW.  Also about 30 states on 6 Meters.  It's not one of those "if I can hear'em, I can work'em," but it's a good antenna.

73's,Bill
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 02:56:32 PM »

I fully concur that a full size vertical is optimal; however, with the StepIR you also have to run a control line to change the actual size of the antenna.  This is accomplished very easily and well worth it.  If you are limited and can’t run the control line then another alternative that I used in the past is the Butternut HF9V.  I have had a lot of success with this antenna.  This was before they came out with the StepIR or before I had my towers erected.  The StepIR is the best but the Butternut is very good.  Also, the Butternut will cover 80 meters.

Good luck es 73
Jim, AD6WL

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 05:43:36 AM »

I have the BigIR with 64 radials stapled to the grass (and in 3 months are pretty much "buried" now). This is by far my favorite vertical, and I have had the Cushcraft MA8040V and Butternut HF2V before.

I have also had Force-12 Sigma series vertical dipoles, and at the time fed a Force-12 40M vertical dipole with ladder line to a remote SGC-230 series tuner. This let me use the vertical dipole on 40 - 6M with very good results and no radials.

But if you add the cost of the remote autotuner and the Sigma 40, you would pay more than the SteppIR BigIR. And yes, the green color of the BigIR is much more "stealth" and "neighbor friendly".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: