The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RG-59 for HF or VERY long ground?  (Read 2450 times)
MSPJ

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:11:56 PM »

Hi -
I'm aware that using RG-59 is not recommended - but here's why I'm asking anyway.

I'm going to install a G5RV antenna in my attic/3rd floor. My rig will be in the basement, where I can have a short run to ground rod.  There is already unused RG-59 from cable tv pulled from the attic space through the 3 floors to the basement.  Getting new coax down there will not be trivial - probably would need to bring in an electrician to pull it through.  If I use appropriate impedance matches, can I get away with the RG-59?

My alternative is to set up the rig on the same floor as the attic space (there's a finished room), so I would not have the coax problem. However, then I'd have to pull a ground cable down 3 floors and across the whole house.  Is this a better compromise than the RG-59?

Thanks for your help.

Michael
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 04:29:13 AM »

RG-59 will work just fine.  You'll need a tuner, but you need one anyway with a G5RV to get on multiple bands.  You won't be able to tell any difference between the RG-59 and a 50 ohm cable.

Phil - AD5X
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:43:19 PM »

I agree. Hook up to the RG-59 and go for it!

Should work just fine for you. Especially at 100 watts or so.  (I have used RG-6, Only slightly larger for 1 KW with no problems)
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »

It is my understanding that G5RV's original design article specified 75 Ohm coax from the bottom of the ladder line to the radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: