The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-Buuilding the station at home.  (Read 2440 times)
KM5BH

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:49:17 AM »

I need an opinion or two bfore I get in over my head.

I had a station up and running and then lost the antennas in a storm and just let other things rule my life for the last few years. I have decided  that it is time to get back on the air. I'm going to do it different this time. I am putting the antennas first and them I will worry about the fancy electronics.

My backyard has a pool that encompasses most of the free space. There should be some metal wire in that concrete, but I doubt that is is grounded very well if at all.
Do you think this will work as a decent counterpoise in the place of a radial system? The patio around it combined with the pool takes in about 90 degrees of the ground out to about 50 feet. After that it is garage, driveways, and nieghbors yards. the other 270 degress is typical subdivision. My house, driveway and then the nieghbors. There just isn't anyway to lay out a decent radial system.

I have an 80 meter wire that I need to put back up. It tops out at about 36 feet, then runs 40 foot at about 45 degrees to the south before it catches a bird feeder at 12 feet and then I bend it before it heads down to the top of the fence and west to the end. The other leg does the same except that it I get about 60 foot before I bend it and take it down to the fence. I call it my dipole on it's knees. I figure it is offerring up a prayer everytime I key the microphone.

I want to know if this will be satisfactory or if I should lean toward a vertical. I also have the requissite 2m/70cm antenna up as well. The pole that holds the 2m antenna is what is hold ng the wire up.

Any suggestions? I am more than willing to listen.

Lewis (KM5BH)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:31:20 AM »

I doubt that the rebar in the concrete pool is going to do you any good as a counterpoise. The various pieces of rebar are not likely to be electrically connected very well.

If you can't put in a decent radial system then I'd forget about a ground mounted vertical. In a suburban environment they tend to be surrounded by noise sources and ground clutter (aluminum sided houses, metal sheds, etc) anyway.

I'd stick with a roof mounted vertical with suspended radials or balanced antennas like a dipole. If size is a problem, consider loading coils. You can shorten a dipole by 50% without loosing too much efficiency, although the bandwidth will decrease.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:54:59 AM »

The pool and rebar won't do diddly.

The 80M wire up only 36 feet will keep the clouds warm and is a real compromise.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:22:21 PM »

How about an 80 meter bazooka dipole?
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:31:55 AM »

I have a very similar set-up.  My Butternut ground mounted vertical sits in the corner of my yard up against a cedar fence.  I ran radials along the length of the fence (in the two directions), as well as along my neighbor's fence that "T's" off my fence.  I also ran random radials out from the antenna along the pool deck, attached one radial to the pool electrical ground (at the accessory AC connector), ran a few radials to the steel edging that goes around the flower bed around the pool, and I ran one radial through the fence and tapped it into the CATV amplifier ground in the alley.  It is not the best set-up in the workd, but this has provided me with plenty of fun operating over the past 20 years.

Phil - AD5X
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:51:46 PM »

>Re-Buuilding the station at home.  Reply  
by KM5BH on August 21, 2007  Mail this to a friend!  
There just isn't anyway to lay out a decent radial system.<

::Sure there is, assuming you have a house on that property also.  Put the vertical on the roof of the house, and all the radials also on the roof.  It's done all the time, takes up no yard space, gets the antenna higher and more in the clear, and gives you whatever your roof area is for radials.

WB2WIK/6  
KM5BH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 06:36:25 AM »

Thanks for all the replies. I'll use these to improve what I had previously. What I really need is a small farm north of town. It would make life do much easier.

Thanks,

Lewis KM5BH
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 04:25:02 PM »

Wait about a year.  The way real estate prices are dropping now, you'll be able to pick up that farm for a song!
N1WOM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 07:16:36 PM »

Hi Lewis,

According to your question, you are refering to an 80 meter dipole.  A dipole already has it's own counterpoise built in.

A counterpoise under the dipole would act like a reflector and would, most likely, just improve your NVIS ability for close in contacts.

If this is what you are going for then I am sure that you can figure something out. On the other hand, if you are going for better (long) distance contacts, then the best thing that you can do is either get the dipole up as high as you can or, as another poster mentioned, a vertical on the roof with the radials laid out on the roof would be the way to go.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: