The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Posting speculative eham reviews  (Read 2559 times)
NR9R

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »

I just read another eham review by an author who doesn't even own the equipment.  This particular review is of a TS-2000 and is based on what they believe the performance will be when it arrives.  Is it really of any use to rate a transceiver based on what you THINK it will do?  What a strange phenomenon.  If you read through reviews of several other transceivers you will find ratings of 0/5 or 1/5 given by authors who "saw the radio at Dayton," or, "new a guy who had one."  I guess we have to take this into consideration when we view the average rating.

Just thought I would share for those of us who read the user reviews before purchasing equipment.

Anthony
AA9OC  
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:50:03 PM »

How about the LID's that rate a second or third hand piece of equipment not knowing it's history!

"I bought a used bla-bla amp. It's a piece of junk...tubes went out in 6 months"

Gota love it.

73, de Lindy
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:31:42 PM »

Well, I think the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow is a fine car.  I've never driven or owned one, but I saw Paris Hilton pull into Spago a few months ago and it looked great.  I'd give it a 5.

:-)

Yes, this has been commented on before and I think the editor of the "reviews" section pulls those once he sees them.

WB2WIK/6
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:12:38 AM »

Actually, Rolls Royce is expensive to fix and trouble prone!
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 05:32:25 AM »

This happens to more than just reviews...not surprising for a group of a people who have a "license to talk."   (Tongue now removed from cheek.)
N0ZLD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:41:11 AM »

If you find something like this, here's what I do:

Phil, NA4M is the 'Review Manager' and has a picture there of himself along with a long speel about the reviews section of eHam on the Review 'Homepage'.  Down towards the bottom he says, "Contact me if you have questions or comments."

Send him a email with:
- URL to the page the review is on
- The posters callsign
- Reason you feel it should be removed

I've done this a couple times and they have all been removed.  Reviews by people who have never actually used the item are not reviews.  It is pure speculation and not deserving to be listed.

Elijah
W4CX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 07:52:34 AM »

I don't understand why Eham couldn't do what Amazon does.  "Rate the Reviewer", or "was this review helpful to you".  Each reader votes and the tally is displayed at the top of each comment.  After awhile, it's pretty obvious which review is "full of wind" and who is not.  What say Eham??  Darrell W4CX
N0ZLD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 08:23:34 AM »

It's a limitation of the sites design.  This site needs a massive overhaul and eHam staff are aware of it but probably lack time, money and expertise.  Until then, just send a email to Phil.

Elijah
N0ZLD
N9MSH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »

What about the reviews that copy a product or design. Then it didn't work correctly and they give it a poor rating, on something that was never acually owned?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: