The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ground-rods near natural-gas-line  (Read 4962 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:40:49 PM »

Is there any guidance on how close a ground-rod, which has a wire from a lightning-arrestor, can be located near a natural-gas-line?
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:55:59 PM »

The gas-line comes into my house thru the basement-wall.
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »

In reading an old w3lk posting, I learned eham.net has a "search" feature. Using it, my question is answered.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 05:18:12 AM »

6 inches
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:50:28 AM »

That is six FEET, Not six inches......  

Less than 6 feet requires the items to be bonded together.

N1QOQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:03:15 AM »

Actually the NEC requires gas lines to be bonded any time.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 05:05:09 AM »

I do not think there is any requirement.  The gas is inside of the pipe and therefore is protected.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 05:18:39 AM »

Try a google search. I think you'll find that many juristictions do require the gas meter or line to be bonded to the electrical system ground just like the water line. Since the NEC requires the radio system ground to be bonded to the electrical system ground then the gas line and the radio grounds are by default bonded together.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 08:03:19 AM »

The underground metal pipe is....underground.  That is a good thing.  The lightning is not going to leap through the wall of the pipe and ignite the gas (no oxygen in there anyway but won't go there).
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 09:04:04 AM »

I don't think its a lightning igniting the gas issue. The NEC doesn't want any unbonded, independent grounds that could possibly be at different potentials. They require that all grounds be bonded together to prevent the possibility of a voltage difference.

A lightning surge might, for example, come into the home on a power line, pass through equipment in the home, and back out on the gas line pipe. By bonding grounded items together you bypass the path through equipment inside the home. Why would the surge go out on the gas line? Because the long gas line might provide a lower resistance ground than the two 8-foot ground rods providing the electrical service ground. Why would they be concerned about the surge passing through equipment in the residence? Because it is uncontrolled. It might, for example, pass through a smaller guage wire that burns through and starts a fire.

I think you'll find that in most cases the rule is that all grounds be bonded together with a minimum #6 guage wire.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 12:47:50 AM »

UL lightning protection standards require bonding to any metalic objects within 6 feet of lightning protection downconductors, With #6 or heavier wire.

KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »

Underground wires and pipes are hit by lighning all the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: