The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM Rebate - not received  (Read 5404 times)
KQ6RV

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2007, 10:25:02 AM »

And likewise, I finally got my rebate, after nearly eight (Cool months of waiting.

Maybe, just maybe, complaining here helped.

KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »

What a deal!

Rebate huh?

Did you meet all the regular unreasonable requirements?

Did you lick the stamp in the right direction when you mailed it in?

Did you forget to include some obscure piece of information or the bar code?

It's not exactly a business secret to understand that rebates are actually intended to be a hassle to discourage customers from redeeming them.

Some companies don't even process their own rebate offers. They hire outside companies to do it for them. Sometimes they use "my dog ate my homework
type of "at-home" data entry people to process them.

Companies count on your forgetting to send in rebates, filling the form out wrong, mailing it late, or missing the small print about including bar codes, or packing slips, or a piece of your dog's hair.

Unless it's a point of sale rebate offer, Then they  are just simply using the word "rebate."  

They might as well tell you that you have anywhere between a 5 - 80% chance of winning thier "Refund Lottery." because thatpercentage represents the actual number of rebates that are honored. (After they collect a certain amount of interest money from the bank for holding on to your funds for so long.)

KQ6RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:57:15 PM »

I purchased an ICOM 746PRO on 6/3/2006 from HRO, and immediately sent in the documentation for the Spring Fling $50 rebate. I called the telephone number on the ICOM Spring Fling rebate form on 11/13/2006, was given a confirmation number, and told the check is in the mail. Searching for my rebate on the ICOM provided www.rebatestatus.com has only returned “Your search returned no results”. On 12/26/2006, I contacted their Customer Service Department via their on-line inquiry. A call to HRO was no help either.

Has anyone else not received their ICOM America Spring Fling 2006 rebate?
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:25:49 AM »

This is exactly the reason I believe the only valid rebate is the one that takes the money off right when I buy something.

Jim/k7unz

N8TNJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 02:15:04 PM »

Still waiting for my "Dog days" rebate for my 706. Was told it was sent out 11/13/06. Waited till 12/20/06 had to contact the rebate company. They stopped payment of old rebate and issued a new one. Have to wait till 01/22/06 till its mailed out. I like the radio but the rebate STINKS. I got the radio back in October, along time to wait for a $50.00 rebate.
VE4HQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:34:17 PM »

I purchased a ICOM 706 from Burghardt Amateur Radio in South Dakota and got a $50.00 rebate coupon.
No repy to the coupon and no reply to my many E-mails I sent to Icom.
I guess Icom does not want Canadian customers!!
KQ6RV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 10:42:48 PM »

Actually my experience with rebates had been excellent, until ICOM.

I have a record of about 50 rebates I applied for going back to 1999. I received every single one of those rebates, without hassle. Hence the reason for my post about ICOM’s poor rebate performance.

ICOM's rebate performance stands out as uniquely bad.

Bill
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 05:31:46 AM »

Based on the web address for the rebate, your beef is not directly with ICOM but with the rebate handling company that they hired to process the forms (although you should definitely make ICOM aware of the difficulties)

Earlier this year, I worked as an IT contractor at a manufacturing firm that had brought their rebate handling in-house due to difficulties similar to those mentioned.  The people in the rebate department were for the most part efficient and accurate... but you know why they advertise "10 - 12 weeks" sometimes to handle a rebate promotion?  There are stacks and stacks of mail to process, and that's what takes time (and yes, they should hire more people to handle the forms if that's what happens).

Yes, mistakes happen.  But I observed that these were the most common reasons that rebates were rejected:
(1)  Required proofs of purchase (copy of sales receipt, UPC code, etc.) not sent
(2)  Wrong rebate form used
(3)  Non-qualified purchases included
(4)  Purchases made outside of time frame for the rebate
(5)  Fraud (such as sending in multiple rebate requests with duplicate receipts, or using a phony apartment or a business address to get around a "one per household" requirement, etc.)

And, sometimes a qualifed rebate was undeliverable due to a move (no forwarding or forwarding expired), or the use of a non-deliverable address (such as a work address that mail isn't delivered to)

So what can you do?  Read the rebate coupon, and do exactly what it asks.  If it asks for a UPC code, make sure you're sending in that and not a shipping bar code (common mistake!).  If you're buying in a store and the salesperson says "no, that's not expired, it was extended" or "I'm sure they'll let a day or two slide" -- no, they won't, so don't believe it.  Write down the address or phone number on the rebate coupon so that you can do a timely follow-up if you don't receive anything (remember, 10 - 12 weeks).  And if you have to call... be nice.  Not only does a little charm work wonders, but they make fun of people who threaten to turn them into the BBB or the local TV or newspaper "consumer reporter," especially when the error is on your end, not theirs (bluster gets you nowhere).

Now, in the situation mentioned, a registered letter to the rebate address, with a cc: to ICOM, politely explaining the circumstances and requesting assistance in tracking down the rebate will work wonders.  

Complaining here... won't.  

73, ron w3wn
N8TNJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 07:31:55 PM »

Well finally got my rebate today, only a four month wait.
Sent Icom an email about the rebate problem 2 weeks ago no reply. So they don't seem to care. Had to keep pestering the rebate company to send the money. I really like my 706, but I will not buy another Icom if it has a rebate with the radio.
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 12:29:23 PM »

Icom lost my rebate on an IC-2200H purchased at Dayton.  I called the phone number on the rebate submission form (always make copies), gave my information over the phone, and a rebate check was sent out within a couple weeks.  Sure is a lot of hoops to jump through for a $20 rebate, but at least I got it.

Dan / ab0re
YEPSURE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »

Jumping through all kinds of "hoops" is specifically engineered into all rebates. As already stated above, the only real purpose of a rebate is the manufacturers hope that you'll forget, not bother with, or somehow not meet the rebate requirements. Thus, they don't have to pay.

Just like all other baloney scams in the world, the rebate is one of those that actually pays sometimes but is engineered with such difficulty that you'll fall short of at least one of it's requirements.

Real nice . . . .
K5WW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 01:02:19 PM »

I guess I must be extremely lucky!

Bought a new 746Pro at the end of January '07. It arrived here on February 2nd.

Immediately sent in the rebate form and requested materials. A couple of weeks later I could track the status of my rebate on their website.

Today, less than 2 months after that, I got Icom's check in the mail.

No hassle at all, in fact it's probably the easiest rebate process I've ever gone through. Some big companies could learn something from Icom! (I'm still waiting, Sony...)
WD9ICU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 11:11:28 PM »

I bought an Icom 2200h on 2/22/07...got my rebate today 5/26/07  I had forgot all about it . Imagine my surprise and heartfelt glee as I was running back to the house from the mailbox with check in hand and thoughts of what i'm going to spend it on...yippie! Then POW! the xyl says "lets go out for breakfast" ...short lived re-bate..
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 04:08:41 AM »

I too was having a problem getting the rebate on my 746 PRO. However a call to Icom in WA got great help and quick results. They appologized and admitted they had been having problems with the rebate program. Not sure if it was a computer file exchange glitch, overloaded staff since the program generated lots of sales, interaction with the sub contractor they used for the rebate program, missing/lost files, or what. But they did take care of me and I did get the rebate within a short time after I spoke to them.

The rebate check was soon spent and gone and forgotten. But the 746 will be in my shack a long time. I really like the rig and have forgiven the rebate issue.

John W4FID
AB8XA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 04:15:11 AM »

Bought the 718 in Jan 06, sent the rebate in a month later (certified mail), got the check exactly one month later. No problems.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: