The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jun's Electronics/Ham City  (Read 7585 times)
KD5UCM

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2007, 08:26:36 AM »

I had been looking for a vhf/uhf mobile unit for sometime and had settled on the Yaesu 7800R as the best choice for the purpose and also had decided upon the purchase of an MFJ 945E mobile tuner. Ham City had appeared in google searches before but I had never checked their prices.  Surprise, they were competitive across the board and had the lowest prices on this particular Yaesu and MFJ product. The order was placed Wednesday and arrived Monday by UPS ground for $10.99 shipping. Packing could have been better but UPS was kind to me on this one. Everything works well and I could not be happier with the service or products. I won't hesitate to check Ham City when searching online for the best prices again. A good experience with a smaller low key retailer.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:35:12 AM »

Just a comment ...

If you use a properly installed dual band antenna, there is no need for an antenna tuner with a dual band radio. All you are doing in introducing additional loss in the between the rig and the antenna.

The SWR bandwidth of virtually all dual band antennas is more than sufficient to cover the FM portion of either band without any need for a tuner.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KD5UCM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 09:22:17 AM »

W3LK, you are of course correct.  The tuner makes it possible to tune up a random wire at home on 6 or 10 meter. I would guess there is some possibility it would work on 2 meters, but???. It was selected for price and the fact that it does cover 6 meters.  I also want to learn something about these things.  Should be fun to play with down the road when I upgrade.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:48:23 AM »

My mistake!

I made the, obviously invalid, assumption that since you bought them togehter, you were going to use the together.

I can see it's going to be one of "those" days. <g>

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 04:46:16 PM »

No, the MFJ tuner will not work on two meters.

Using a random wire for FM work isn't too good, either.  You really want to use something that's definitely vertically polarized like a ground plane, and since those are matched by design you won't need the tuner.

"Ham City" is definitely a popular dealer here in Southern CA.  The Jun's Electronics store downsized from quite a large place with a lot of walk-in trade to a smaller place that does mostly mail order business, which I imagine saved a lot of rent (they're on a busy street, not far from LAX airport), but PJ Jun has been in business a long time and has a lot of repeat customers.

WB2WIK/6
KC6KGX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »

I have bought equipment there nearly 20 years ago.  It was popular with the hams I hung out with then.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »

I remember Jun's from years ago.  I've been inactive for the last few years and am getting back into HF again.  I was shopping for a new rig and Hamcity had a really good price--I didn't know it was the old Jun's.  I did see it had pretty positive opinions here on eham, so I ordered the rig from Hamcity, and got it very quickly.

Since then I've also bought accessories and parts from Hamcity.  Every time I order from Hamcity, I get a really good price, super-fast shipping, and great customer service via email.  Hamcity has been great!
AD2U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 11:33:14 AM »

Bought one HT and one Antenna Analizer recently from this famous outlet. They have the best prices any where I checked.

The store is local to me, so I did store pickup and saved shipping cost. Even with LA's 9.75% sales tax, they offering are among the most competitive ones.

Their store hours are 9 AM to 5 PM, Monday to Friday - the banker's hours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: