The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-706MKIIG as a VHF/UHF rig  (Read 5609 times)
W5FSW

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2001, 07:30:52 PM »

I am considering an Icom 706MKIIG as my base station because of it's versatility and performance has anyone used this rig extensively as vhf/uhf rig? I will be doing mostly VHF/UHF FM and was wondering how this unit performed and how well it was layed out in this area. Should I just stick to top of the line dual band or would this rig excell?
Thanks
Scott
W5FSW
KB9UMT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2001, 12:12:02 AM »

COME ON ALL YOU 706 USERS....PLEASE COMMENT!!!

I have one of these rigs and would not give it up for nothing....great rig!!!  This is a great rig to have  so when you upgrade from tech to General/Extra you will be ready!!!!  AND PLEASE ALL YOU GUYS UPGRADE AND USE THE BANDS!!!

Hope other users will post but these rigs are no doubt in my mind a great all band, all mode rig that have and will be around for a long time...easy to use too!

Look in EHAM Product reviews for the 706 and you will see that very few other radios have reviews that list over 60 reviews and at a 4.5 average....very good!

But then again you know my thoughts on this already Scott...sorry could not resist...73 de KB9UMT Don Peoria IL

SEE WHAT OTHER THINK OF THE 706:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/63

KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2001, 07:38:07 AM »

That was one my reasons for getting the IC-706MKIIG was all the great reviews here!
Though at present I'm mostly on 2 meters (WAFAR, 146.670), I would like to chat
with others about the radio on 2 meters SSB 144.200/205 evenings at 9pm+. Considering
it's small size, this radio offers a lot for the money. I've also been able to run it
via my portable powerpack, Nomad 300 (www.solarsense.com) and 21 watt solar panel.
With the addition of the IC-SM8 desk microphone and IC-SP7 external speaker, it makes
a winning setup.
George, KB9YUR
Berwyn,IL.
WT8Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2001, 08:45:05 AM »

I am using a 706MKII on 2 meter ssb and fm. I have compared the radio to the IC746 and IC275 and found it
as sensitive and selective. I receive great audio reports on ssb and fm using the SM8 microphone. The MKII and IIG is a winner for me.
K8RBT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2001, 03:57:45 PM »

I'm extremely happy with my 706IIG for VHF/UHF. I've had mine for almost two years and only got my General upgrade two weeks ago. So I've been using strictly for 6 and 2 meter along with 440 (and monitoring HF).

Usually have great signal reports with both simplex and repeaters. I'm running a Comet Tribander (can't remember the model, think maybe a 15?). Also use the Icom stand mike, SM-20, which I'm pleased with.

Since getting my upgrade, I installed a random wire antenna with the AH-4 tuner. Very pleased with the performance on HF so far. I think having this option is another big plus for the 706IIG.
K9EQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2001, 09:21:20 AM »

A good source of information on the 706 can be found on Yahoo Egroups at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic706

If you have or are interested in owning the 706, I highly recommend joining this group.

73's
Chris, K9EQ
KC4IWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2001, 01:22:29 PM »

Had mine for 9 months now,  super receiver, and you will get great audio reports if you keep the mic gain down when running FM. You may find yourself using the att. button some of the time if you use a good ant.
VA3KS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2001, 04:25:13 PM »

I run a 2m SSB net and I can report the 706MKIIG is
a very popular rig on the bands and sounds fine.

The same cannot be said for the 1st generation of 706.
I can always tell when someone is using one by the
'raspy' audio.

..Kieran
N7JAU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2001, 04:29:13 PM »

I have a mark II and like it much better than the TS-50 or Alinco Dx-70 I've had.  However, I really don't like the patch job insofar as the vhf programming (offsets are a pain) and the poor memory scanning comnmands.  I have a few other minor gripes, but generaly am VERY happy with the radio.  

Of course Steve will disagree because, unfortunately, I'm from Idaho.
WB0DMA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2001, 01:58:53 PM »

The Mark IIG has programmed offsets.  I really like mine.  I use it in the car.  I can even listen to the traffic reporters just above 440.  I purchased the TTP mic extra.  It has a nice lighted key pad.
KD5ODR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2001, 09:43:34 PM »

I was a novice (WN1HLN) in 1968, and recently got back into Ham Radio with my Tech ticket in April and my General in May.  My first rig the second time around was the 706MkIIG.

It is NOT a contesting rig, and the receiver is not perfect (e.g. SSB DX is hard work without the accessory filter).  

But within the first three weeks of getting my general, I already have about 20 DX countries on SSB from suburban Houston, including New Zealand, Israel, and several countries in central Europe, all on an inverted-V dipole at 25 feet.

Somehow I have managed to bust-through several SSB pile-ups littered with BIG powered rigs running beams; all with the 706's 100 watts.  Reports are consistently 5x7,8,9. I think the secret is the very clean xmitter modulation which allows the DX stations to pick me out of a crowd.  Blowing away all that high-powered competition with 100 watts is quite a rush.

I use the 2M and 440 quite a bit for the local repeaters (esp nice feature during the recent flooding here)

This rig would be a good buy as an HF-only mobile rig. With the VHF bands included, I rate it as a MUST BUY for the Tech operator who is committed to getting the General ticket.

It's a great VHF rig (6M, 2M, 440) for the Tech. It's a great first HF base station rig for the General. If you want to move onto a fancier base-station rig later, the resale value is guaranteed to be great (check eBAY if you doubt me) OR you can simply go HF mobile, for which the rig is (naturally) unexcelled.

KD5IVP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2001, 10:56:39 PM »

I have the Mk II and really enjoy it.  I do mostly CW but hang out on the local repeaters during
the day as I work out of my home and have my rigs on my work desk. (I don't recommend this ;-)
I leave the 706 in scan mode and keep my IC-735, which is right next to the 706, on
the HF bands I wish to listen.  I can go back and forth between the radios and do all
I want to do, on HF and UHF/VHF.  The 706, with the FL-100 CW filter, is as good as my 735...a radio I've grown very
fond of.  Only dislike I have of the 706 is the cooling fan.  It cycles to early and often. The
cure I found is to turn off the panel and display lights.   The display is so contrasty you don't need
the light so I don't miss it.  The fan only runs on transmit now.  If you remotely mount the
706, none of this matters.  The 706 is  well designed and a joy to use.  You won't be sorry.
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: