The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Meter Antenna on Town Home  (Read 2449 times)
WA7CFO

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2000, 01:50:58 AM »

I'm looking to put an antenna on the roof of my town home (2 story) and want some opinions.  The point at which I can put the antenna is about 30 feet, maybe a little more.  I want to know if a specific mobile antenna will work better than most mobile or even some small base antennas.  I'm going to be using the IC-746, so I don't need a dual-band antenna.  Also, I prefer to keep a low profile.  Is the 2 meter Ham Stick any good?  It seems like it would be good for its size and specs.  How about the Hustler CG-144 collinear?  I really don't want a Comet or Diamond unless it works magic, they're a little too pricey sometimes.  Any input would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Chris
KG6CIQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2000, 02:27:44 AM »

Hello Chris,,

I think the 746 is HF & VHF.
You only mention 2M's ?

Why not put one of the HF/VHF multiband mobile antennas for 20/15/10/6/2 on a home made ground plane.
They are not very efficient on HF, reasonable on VHF. But at least you will be able utilise more of you 746.

Check out the Forums that talk about
"Stealth" Antenna's

Best Regards
David.
ex G8LIY, DD5CK

KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2000, 10:31:33 AM »

the best antenna would be the Hustler G6-144, painted to match the surroundings
use a paint that doesn't have a metallic pigment, like Krylon
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2001, 03:22:56 PM »

You are missing out on the SSB portion of 2-meters if you don't put up something horizontally polarized. You can reliably ragchew several times the range of FM simplex, 100 to 150 miles with a modest station and when tropo is open you'll get several times that.  Contests weekends you'll have a ball!

I'd suggest either a single or stacked pair of Par Electronics or M-Squared loops for SSB.  For a compact FM antenna I'd use one of the small, but rugged  fiberglass dual-danders such as the G-6/270 Hustler or the Diamond X-50N.  These are only 6 ft. tall or so and easy to camouflage from the neighborhood "antenna Nazis."

You say that you don't need UHF, but these dual-band antennas are small, work well on 2 meters and ALSO are dual band, so you might as well, and it will give you a good excuse to get into UHF later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: