The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help selecting a dual band mobile to use as a  (Read 1840 times)
STU

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2001, 05:51:03 PM »

I am looking for a dual band mobile to use as a base. I have narrowed it down to 4 choices, but Im new to ham and don't know which is the best to get.

The radios are

Yaesu FT-7100M

Yaesu FT-90R

Kenwood TM-V7A

Kenwood TM-G707A

They can all be found at www.texastowers.com/online.htm

Im going to be running a Cushcraft ar270b Dual Band Vertical Antenna, and would like to work the local repeaters, as well as packet applications.

Thank You for your help.
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2001, 03:04:00 PM »

Any of the rigs you have chosen will probably be satisfactory.  I would consider your operating environment and compare specs.

If you live in a rural area and plan to use alot of FM simplex, or if you may need to run more than 25w for reliable packet connects or to use distant repeaters, I'd opt for the rig with the largest heat sink or a supplemental cooling fan.  Another option is to run the rig on lower power, such as 5 to 10w and use it to drive an amplifier, letting the amp do the work.

If you are closer in to the city, intermod rejection may be more important.  Many mobile rigs experience front-end overload if you connect them to a higher gain antenna elevated on a tower.  Use of a notch filter such as the one from Par Electronics will help there.

The AR-270 and AR-270B Cuscraft antennas give good performance.  Many hams in Northern Virginia use the smaller AR-270 in attic installations where there are antenna restrictions and it works well.  We also like them as compact, easily transportable antennas for public service events and RACES operations.

If you will be monitoring both bands simultaneously for ARES / RACES or repeater control operator functions, I'd recommend a rig having dual-receive, and simultaneous scanning on both bands.

In my own case I have two Kenwood TM742 and TM642 tri-banders, one base and one mobile, set up for 2 meter, 220 and 440 bands, used mostly for repeaters, and a separate TM255A all-mode which I use mostly for SSB and FM simplex because of its more sensitive receiver.

All three bands of the fixed TM742 feed into a Diamond D-130N discone on a roof gable mount, which is great for general operating in the Washington, DC area.  The all-mode rig has a pair of tower-mounted yagis, an end-mounted 5-element vertically polarized Antennex beam for FM and a 10-element Cushcraft A148-10S for SSB.

I'm looking for a high performance horizontally-polarized 2 meter SSB antenna and am leaning towards a pair of stacked KB6KQ loops on the chimney, unless Norm can make me a pair of "Big Wheels" to stack.

KG4OXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2001, 01:57:17 PM »

I have the TM-G707, using in my car, and like it very much.

I ended up getting this after reading reviews on this site.

It's meeting my expectations. I'm using it with a small dual band trunk mount antenna, in Ft. Lauderdale, and use a repeater located in Homestead FL with no issues whatsoever. As the crow flies Homestead is 50 miles away, over relatively flat land....but the repeater antenna sits 1,500 feet up.

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: