The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good base station set up on a budget??  (Read 2061 times)
KD4RWD

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2001, 11:27:39 PM »

I'm looking to buy my first base station rig, but want to keep the cost as low as possible.  Up until now, I have been using an alinco HT, but its time to upgrade!  I'm looking at a single band 2 meter portables for use as a base rig.  Possible the ICOM 2100 or the Yaseu. Anyone have an oppinion on which is best??

Next I'll need a good power supply and a decent antenna.  As for the antenna, the smaller the better!  I'm pretty weak in this area, so any help you could give would be great!

How much should I expect to pay for a simple setup like this?  Are there any other items that I will need that I have left out?  Unfortunately, I've been away from the hobby for several years (almost 10!) and no longer have an Elmer... so any help would be great!  I guess after 10 years, I should get some use out of the old ticket!  Thanks again!  

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2001, 08:05:35 PM »

Glad you are back on the air !

For the antenna, try this link:
http://www.cebik.com/hs.html

you can build this for $ 3.00 or less !
great performance too.  other ideas too.

For you p/s, try to buy the largest you can and
stay inside the budget.

Soon, you will be the Elmer !

73 clay
W9RAY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2001, 10:35:48 PM »

Budget... this depends on what you think budget is.... i have 3 icom 2100s,  love them.  friend HAD a yaesu 2500  he wishes he never sold it for their newer rig!!  . i see hro is selling new icom 2100 s for $160, about the same as ebay. I have bought most of my stuff from ebay..
   MFJ makes a $20 145mhz ground plane antenna that seems to play ok, if you dont like to  build stuff..
   The power supply is the tricky thing...look around....theres lots of things you can do. but i would suggest a power supply, not battries and chargers.. they cost the same when its all said and done and are a hassle...this is what I think anyway!!  a 50 watt fm rig draws 8-12 amps so get at least a 15 amp unit
heres some examples of power supplies

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1264158248
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1264117568
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1265118384

i got a astron 35 amp will run all my toys ic706mk2g and 2 meter amp.
 budget?  subjective term...  Just look around.. talk to some locals!!
Hope i could help a little
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2001, 09:09:20 PM »

Check out the reviews on this sight. Any of the big three should be OK.  I believe for $160 I would buy new.  P/S I have a 25 amp MFJ Mighty Mite that I gave $99 it runs my ICOM just fine. I also have a Astron 20 that works great too.  As for as Ant. The Ringo Ranger has been around for years works great and is fairly cheap.  I run a 25 year old Larson 5/8 mag mount on a 5lb coffee can in my attic. It works all the repeaters and does a good job on simplex too. Good Luck WB4QNG
KD7MRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2001, 02:06:26 AM »

I've been completely satisfied with the Icom IC-2100 H. There have been many complaints about the microphone feeling flimsy. I just think it takes a little getting used to.

-KD7MRT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: