The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Selection  (Read 1954 times)
KC2IFH

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2002, 01:56:18 AM »

Hi,
  I just recently purchased a Glen Martain 9' Rooftop tower and a Yaesu 800GXA rotator.  I would like some advice as to what ind of beams for 2 meters and 440 I should use.  i was thinking about putting a Cushcraft 26B2 for 2meters and either the 17 element Cushcraft beam or the 15 element M2 beam.  I would like to know if these two antennas can be mounted on the same mast, and if so how far apart.  Also what would be the best coax to feed them with.  I would like to acheive atleast 15db of gain from both antennas.  And finnaly does it matter if there mounted on a aluminum or galvinized steel mast, or do I have to get a fiberglass mast.  
   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  
Alex
73's
KC2IFH
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2002, 10:56:48 AM »

You didn't mention the "mode," but based on your other comments I'd guess you're intending to work FM.

I'd strongly recommend you consult with Gene Nemick, K2KJI, of KJI Electronics, on all this.  Gene's an active ham with decades of microwave engineering experience, and lives up the hill from you, right in your home town.  I've known Gene for more than 35 years, and his advice will be solid.

If you need an actual "installation," I'd recommend you consult with Mike Crawford, WA2VUN, who lives in West Caldwell and owns a professional antenna installation company.  Mike's installed most of the successful towers in northern NJ, is also a very active ham, and has a great deal of knowledge about VHF-UHF antennas.  You should drive by his house one day and take a look at what he's done.

WB2WIK/6
N2SLO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2002, 09:20:41 PM »

I can give you some input on my set-up, which is FM.
I sue the Cubex 8 element scorpion quad, with 9913 coax. It is excellent for repeater use, and I can hit anything within 100-150 mile range with normal conditions. I do live 2 miles from the ocean, and the antenna is on a 5 foot tripod on the roof.

Whatever you do, use excellent coax, it is worth the investment. 913 is the minimum you should use, due to low line loss. Good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: